International Transfer Students
Are you considered an International Transfer Student?
- Students who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents (green card holders) as well as all students with any non-U.S. academic records are considered international students.
- Students who completed at least one semester of college coursework (12 credits) at another accredited college or university, as well as students who hold an Associate's or Bachelor's degree are considered transfer students.
International Transfer Students must submit the following to be considered for admission:
- Completed transfer application ➪
- $40 nonrefundable application fee
- Official transcripts ➪
- Demonstration of English Language Proficiency ➪
- Applicants may submit a letter of recommendation from a professor, advisor, or employer, but it is not required unless applying to our Honors Program or Scholars Programs. ➪
- Applicants may submit a personal essay for consideration, but it is not required ➪
Your application is considered complete when we receive all of your supporting documents. Only then will we review and consider your application for admission.
Complete your transfer application:
Marymount accepts applications using our Marymount Application.
If you are an international student interested in our Accelerated Nursing Program, please visit our Nursing webpage
to apply and learn more about our program.
Send your official transcripts from each college/university you've attended:
- If you have less than 30 completed college/university credits, you must also submit your official and completed high school transcripts
- For university level course work completed outside of the U.S., you must submit an official course-by-course evaluation from one of the following Marymount approved evaluation agencies:
To ensure timely processing of your documents, we prefer that your course-by-course evalulation is sent electronically by the evaluation company.
Unofficial documents may be emailed to email@example.com
, but official documents will be required prior to enrollment.
If you are mailing your supporting documents, please send them to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
2807 N. Glebe Road
Arlington, VA 22207
Submit a letter of recommendation:
- Applicants may submit a letter of recommendation from a professor, advisor, or employer, but it is not required unless applying to our Honors Program or Scholars Programs.
- The Marymount Application will request your recommender's name and email address. Your recommender will receive an email prompt to complete their letter of recommendation.
- Your recommender may also submit their letter directly to our office via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Demonstrate English Language Proficiency:
Regardless of citizenship, if English is not your first language, we require official scores from an English proficiency examination.
To meet the English Language Proficiency requirement you must submit one of the following test scores:
Conditions in which the English Language Proficiency may be waived:
- If you have completed 30 credits from a U.S. institution AND completed English Composition 1 with a C or better, you may be eligible to waive the English language proficiency requirement.
- If you have a Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's degree earned from a U.S. accredited institution, you may be eligible to waive the English language proficiency requirement.
Conditional Admission for students who do not meet the demonstrated English Language Proficiency:
To be considered for conditional admission, you must be enrolled in of Marymount's partner language institutes. Completion of an intensive English program other than the partner institutes listed will not meet the conditional admission requirement.
These programs help students develop their reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills to a level that is appropriate for university study.
Georgetown University's English Language Center (ELC)
ELS Educational Service's English for Academic Purposes Program:
- Students who demonstrate completion of ELS Level 112 may be fully admitted to Marymount without submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score. More information about the ELS program may be found at www.els.edu.
- Students who present a certificate of completion of the level 8 intensive program with an official transcript from Inlingua may be fully admitted to Marymount without submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score. More information about the Inlingua program may be found at https://idc.edu/.
International Language Academy of Washington, D.C. (ILA)
- Students who present a certificate of completion of level 12 with an official transcript from ILA may be fully admitted to Marymount without submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score. More information about the ILA program may be found at https://www.ila.edu/about.
Virginia Tech Language and Culture Institute:
- Students who complete Advanced Level 550 at Virginia Tech Language and Culture Institute may be fully admitted to Marymount without submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score.
- Students who satisfy all admissions criteria except the English language proficiency may qualify for a conditional acceptance before starting their program at the Virginia Tech Language and Culture Institute.
- More information about the Virginia Tech Language and Culture Institute programs may be found at https://lci.vt.edu/.
Submit a personal essay:
- You may submit a personal essay of 500 words or fewer for the admissions committee to review.
- This essay may include your educational goals, discussion of personal circumstances, or anything else that you would like the admissions committee to know.