Transferring Credits

Want to know how your credit will transfer? Click here to search our database!

Information For Incoming Undergraduate Transfer Students

Marymount University generally accepts credits for courses taken at a regionally-accredited institution within the last ten years and completed with a grade of C or higher. A maximum of 64 credit hours from a two-year institution and an additional 20 credit hours from a four-year institution (for a total of 84 credits) can be applied to a degree. Credit acceptance is at the discretion of Marymount University. For more information about current transfer policies, see the Marymount University Undergraduate Catalog.

To learn more about the transfer admissions process, please visit the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website.

  • Articulation Agreement with Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) Marymount has an articulation agreement with Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) to aid students who wish to transfer. Please click here for more information. Degree pathways and course equivalencies are also available to assist in course planning at NOVA and MU.

  • Articulation Agreement with Florida Community Colleges
    Marymount has an articulation agreement with some Florida community colleges to aid students who wish to transfer. Please click here for more information, including a pathway. Course equivalencies can be found here.

Course Equivalencies and Evaluation of Transfer Credit

Course equivalencies for many institutions, including NOVA and all other Virginia community colleges, Montgomery College, and Prince George's Community College are available here.

Course equivalencies are also available for students at George Mason University, Virginia Commonwealth University, and Howard Community College who wish to transfer to Marymount.

*Important Note: All courses are subject to review by faculty within the discipline of a course. This may delay the posting of your transfer credit. It is crucial that all transcripts are submitted as early as possible so that your credit will be evaluated by the orientation and registration periods. Elective credit will be awarded as placeholder credit and will remain on your record unless or until an equivalent Marymount course has been determined.

Credit by Examination

Students may apply up to 30 hours of credit earned by examination to the 84-hour transfer credit maximum. Marymount will accept credit earned through College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and Advanced Placement (AP) examinations. Please click here for more information. Credit earned by examination after matriculation is subject to post-matriculation transfer limits.

Information For Currently Enrolled Students

Undergraduate students may transfer 4 courses (up to 16 total credit hours) from a regionally-accredited institution after matriculation. Graduate students should refer to the appropriate program section of their catalog for information about transfer credit restrictions for their respective program. These courses are in addition to any courses taken through the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area, Virginia Foundation for Independent Colleges (VFIC) (undergraduate students only), and approved courses taken through Marymount’s Center for Global Education. The following rules govern transfer credits after entry for undergraduate students:
  • Such credits are counted as part of the maximum transfer credits, which may be counted toward a Marymount degree.
  • Courses must be reviewed by the appropriate program chair for application toward degree requirements.
  • Written approval must be obtained from the student's associate or assistant dean prior to taking courses for transfer back to Marymount.
  • Forms for this purpose are available in each school office and in the Office of the Registrar.
  • Courses approved for transfer must be completed with a grade of C or better and may not be taken pass/fail.
  • An official transcript must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.
  • Approval may not be granted for courses to be taken during the last semester of the student’s enrollment. Note: Taking a course outside of Marymount during the student’s final semester may delay his or her graduation.
  • Courses transferred after entry do not count toward the residency requirement.
  • Grades earned in courses transferred after entry do not count in the student’s cumulative grade point average.
  • Grades earned in courses transferred after entry cannot replace grades earned in the equivalent Marymount University course.
  • Students who are approved to take courses at another institution while on Continuous Registration are subject to Marymount’s post-matriculation transfer credit limits.