Maintaining Your F-1 Status
In order to maintain your F-1 visa status, it is important that you are aware of the following responsibilities. Please read through the F-1 Regulations Handout that is given to you at SEVIS Check-in.
- Students new to University must physically meet with an International Student Advisor, who is a Designated School Official (DSO), within the first two weeks of classes.
- Maintain a full course load each term, 12 credits for undergraduate students and 9 credits for graduate students, unless authorized for a reduced course load by the. Acceptable reasons for reduced course load include:
- Students who experience academic difficulties (for example, unfamiliarity with American teaching methods) may take a reduced credit load, but only in the first semester of their studies in the United States.
- Students in their final term of study. Such students need only to register for the credit hours required to complete the degree. If this means that a student will be registered part-time, a reduced course load form needs to be signed by the student’s Academic Advisor and brought to an International Student Advisor.
- Students who have a medical issue. This requires medical documentation signed by the student’s physician recommending that a reduction in course load and what specifically that reduction should be. Prior authorization is required for this situation as well.
- Complete an official immigration transfer whenever changing educational institutions. This must be done within 15 days of the start date on the form I-20.
- Maintain a valid Passport at all times. The passport should be valid for at least six months into the future at all times.
- Maintain an up-to-date I-20 that reflects the level of study, course of study, and financial support. If you change your major, please have the Academic Certification Form signed by your Academic Advisor.
- Apply in advance for a program extension if you are not able to complete your degree requirement before the end date on your form I-20.
- Do not work off-campus without prior authorization.
- Report any changes of address within 10 days of the move by contacting your International Student Advisor and the Registrar’s Office by updating your information on Marynet.