Song is an associate professor of Interior Design at Marymount University and a LEED Accredited Professional. She holds B.F.A. and M.F.A. degrees in Interior Environmental Design from South Korea and a M.S. in Design Studies from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Song’s major research interests are wayfinding design and concepts in architectural interior spaces, evidence-based design research and practice in healthcare design education, innovative method of design communication and visualization featuring environmental color and creative approaches to the design scholarship. Her works have been internationally and nationally recognized from peer-reviewed publications, award competitions and exhibitions juried international, national, and regional conferences and meetings.
As a design educator with over 17 years of teaching, Song received a teaching award from Iowa State University in 2010 as Best Studio Professor of the Year from the College of Design, and exemplary Faculty Mentor award from the Office of the Provost in 2015. Joining Marymount in 2018, she instructs undergraduate students in sketching and rendering for ideation, and advanced color theories and application. At the graduate level, she teaches the health and well-being design practice studio, advanced color and light studies, professional development, and seminars, plus guides thesis studies or design projects and research.
Her contribution in the program’s curriculum development includes the a new interdisciplinary healthcare design studio sponsored by the HDR Architecture, Inc. in Omaha, NE and health and well-being graduate practice studio sponsored by Waldon Studio Architects in Washington, D.C.
A strong advocate of interdisciplinary collaboration in design education, she is an active member of the IDEC, IIDA, and ASID, and serves as a Board of Directors at for IDECF (Interior Design Educators Council Foundation).
- Song, J. (2019). Professional Development Award, Office of the Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs, Marymount University
- Song, J. (2017). Faculty Professional Development Assignment (FPDA), Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost, Iowa State University
- Song, J. (2015). Exemplary Faculty Mentor Award, The office of the Senior Vice President and Provost, Iowa State University
- Hinchman, M., & Song, J. (2012). The Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) Grant for Global Study of Interior Design Education and Quality Assurance
- Song, J. (2011). Healthcare Facilities Symposium & Expo Scholarship, 24th Annual Healthcare Facilities Symposium & Expo, Navy Pier, Chicago, IL
- Song, J. (2010). Raymond G. and Lula G. Polster Teaching Award, College of Design Best Studio Professor of the Year, Iowa State University
- Song, J. (2009). Big 12 Faculty Fellowship, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, Department of Architecture, Interior Design program