DNP, Marymount University, August 2016
MSN Nurse Educator, George Mason University, May 2010
BSN, Loyola University of Chicago, 1981
Diploma in Nursing, Wesley-Passavant School of Nursing, Chicago, Illinois, 1977
- Health assessment
- Medical surgical nursing
- Health promotion
- Online teaching
- Lab and simulation.
Student education, collaborative education, interprofessional education, clinical issues, breast cancer and research, diversity within our communities including access to healthcare, infection control, moral and ethical issues in nursing and nursing certification.
After several years as an adjunct faculty member for clinical rotations at local educational institutions, Karen Benson joined the full-time faculty of Marymount University in 2010. In addition to her work as an adjunct faculty member, Ms. Benson brings 33 years of experience as a hospital staff nurse in several areas. The majority of her experience has been in critical care nursing.
Ms. Benson is a member of the American Association of Critical Care Nurses. She maintains a national certification in critical care nursing (CCRN). She is a member of the School of Health Professions’ Assessment committee and serves on the Northern Virginia HealthFORCE Clinical Training Task Force.
CCRN (credentialed as a critical care nurse through AACN)
- Benson, K. (2016). Web-based education for Infection Control: A Quality Improvement Project for Clinic Volunteers. The Washington Regional Nursing Research Consortium (WRNRC) Poster Presentation, Washington, D.C.
- Benson, K. (2012). Creative Student Nurse Clinical Learning with a Professional Web Site. Villanova University College of Nursing: The 39th National Conference on Professional Nursing Education and Development, Baltimore, MD.
- Benson, K. (2012). Lessons Learned: Integrating Diabetes Didactic Content into Simulation Opportunities for Accelerated Nursing Students. The 29th National Conference on Professional Nursing Education and Development, Baltimore, MD.
- Benson, K. (2005). Creating a Healthy Work Environment: Effective Collaboration and Communication. Poster presentation at National Teaching Institute and Critical Care Exposition in New Orleans, Louisiana to a national audience of critical care nurses and nursing leaders. Found at: http://www.aacn.org/AACN/NTIPoster.nsf/vwdoc/2005NTIPosters
- Benson, K. (2004). Critical Care Interdisciplinary Rounds: Quick and Meaningful! Poster presentation at National Teaching Institute and Critical Care Exposition in Orlando, Florida to a national audience of critical care nurses and nursing leaders. Found at: http://classic.aacn.org/AACN/NTIPoster.nsf/vwdoc/2004NTIPosters