English Language Requirements
Below are resources available to international students to assist students and their families in making long-term plans to obtain their education in the U.S.
Please click the proper tab below to learn more about language requirements expectations for admission into a degree program.
To meet the English Language Proficiency requirement, students must submit one of the following test scores:
Standardized Test Exemptions:
- GPA of at least a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Four years at a U.S. high school enrolled in standard english classes, not in English as a Second Language (ESL) program.
- A.A., Bachelor's, or Master's degree earned from a U.S. accredited instituion.
- 30 credits from a U.S. institution with coursework equivalent to English Composition 1.
- A completed high school degree earned from one of the following countries1
British Virgin Islands
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos
U.S. Virgin Islands
1. Students from Puerto Rico are U.S. citizens, but proof of English Proficiency is required.
2. Test scores are required for the French Education System only.
3. English Speaking territories only.
Additional Ways to Satisfy the English Language Proficiency:
Prospective Marymount international students may meet the minimum English language proficiency by successfully completing an English Language Program with one of our Partnership schools, including:
- Level 8 with a score of 80% or higher at Inlingua.
- Level 9 and 10 with a final result of 84% at LADO.
- Any College Advanced Electives: English for Specific Purpose class with a score of 85% or higher, Test Preparation Program with a core of 85% or higher, or College Certificate Program at Mentora College.
- Level 112 with a final score of 80% or higher at ESL Educational Services.
To be considered for graduate admissions, nonnative English speakers must submit a satisfactory score on one of the following exams:
Note: Applicants who have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited school where the language of instruction is English are exempt from this requirement.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 96 overall
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 6.5 overall
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE): 58
Conditional admission is an option for international graduate applicants who meet all admission requirements except demonstrated English proficiency. Students seeking conditional admission must be enrolled in one of Marymount University’s partner language institutes. These programs help students develop their reading, writing, listening and speaking skills to a level appropriate for university study. Completion of an intensive English program other than the programs listed does not meet the conditional admission requirement.
Note: Applicants to the Counseling (M.A.), Master of Education (M.Ed.) licensure programs, family nurse practitioner (M.S.N.), Forensic and Legal Psychology (M.A.), and Doctor of Nursing Practice (D.N.P.) programs are NOT eligible for conditional admission.
ELS Educational Service's English for Academic Purposes Program:
Students who demonstrate completion of ELS Level 112 will be fully admitted and may enroll in a degree program without presenting a TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score. More information about the program can be found at www.els.edu.
Students who present a certificate of completion of level 8 intensive program with an official transcript from Inlingua will be filly admitted and may enroll in a degree program without presenting a TOEFL, IELTS,or PTE score. More information about the program can be found at www.inlinguaenglish.edu.
LADO International Training Institute:
Students who present a certificate of completion of level 10 intensive program with an official transcript from LADO will be fill admitted and may enroll in a degree program without presenting a TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score. More information about the program can be found at www.lado.com.
Students who demonstrate completion of one of the following programs and receive a satisfactory reference letter from their instructor will be fully admitted and may enroll in a degree program without presenting a TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score. More information about the program can be found at www.mentoracollege.edu.
- Any Mentora College Advanced Electives: English for Specific Purposed class with the final score of 85% or higher.
- Any Mentora College Test Preparation program with the final score of 85% or higher.
- Any Mentora College Certification Program.