Home Admissions Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards

Satisfactory Academic Performance Standards for Students Receiving Federal Student Aid

As required by Federal Regulations, students must maintain a minimum level of academic progress in order to continue receiving federal financial aid. Academic progress of aid recipients will be reviewed annually at the end of spring semester. Students who are not making minimum progress as defined below will be considered to be ineligible to receive financial aid.

Satisfactory Academic Performance Standards:

In order to continue receiving federal financial aid, academic progress is measured in the following three ways:

Qualitative Standard: A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA)
  • All Undergraduate must maintain a minimum culmulative GPA of at least 2.0
  • All Graduate students must maintain a minimum culmulative GPA of at least 3.0 
Quantitative Standard: A minimum completion rate

Completion rates are calculated by dividing the number of completed credits against the number of attempted credits. ALL students must have successfully completed 67% of all hours attempted. This calculation only includes classes taken at Marymount. Incompletes, Withdrawals and Failing grades all count toward your attempted but not completed credit hours. Students should be aware that, for federal financial aid purposes, you can only receive federal financial aid toward one retake of a previously passed course or its equivalent. This means that once a student has passed a particular course, Financial Aid can count that student as being enrolled in that course only one more time for federal aid purposes. 

Maximum Timeframe for Completion

In addition to the above GPA and completion rate requirements, all UG students must complete their program of study by attempting no more than 150% of the hours normally required for completion. For example, an UG program of study that is normally completed in 120 credit hours, financial aid eligibility will be suspended once a student has attempted 180 credit hours or more. For a Graduate program requiring 60 credits, coursework much be completed within 5 years, for more than 60 credits, 7 years. 

Loss of Eligibility due to Academic Progress:

A student who has lost eligibility to participate in federal student aid for reasons of academic progress will be ineligible for financial aid until they are meeting the minimum requirements.


Students have the right to appeal a decision of financial aid ineligibility. The appeal may not be based upon your need for the assistance OR your lack of knowledge that your assistance was in jeopardy. An appeal would normally be based upon some unusual situation, condition or other mitigating circumstances which prevented you from passing courses, or which caused you to withdraw from classes. Examples of possible situations include documented serious illness, severe injury or death of a family member.

How to Appeal:

You must submit in writing and document the specific reasons for not meeting the minimum requirements and outline your plan for meeting them. Undergraduate students are also required to submit a copy of  your developed academic plan from the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL). The CTL must be able to verify that you will be able to meet the standards by the end of the Fall semester. Graduate students must also submit a copy of a developed adademic plan fro the Chair of your graduate program or Associate Dean of the School for your program that indicates if followed, you will be at the minimum standards by the end of the fall semester. Appeals should be submitted in writing to the attention of the Financial Aid Office Appeals Committee. You will be notified in writing of the committee’s decision.


Students who lose financial aid eligibility due to academic progress can reapply for financial aid the semester after they have earned sufficient credits and the required cumulative grade point average.