Using Your Accommodations


Types of Academic Accommodations & Access Services

The accommodations and access services listed below are the most frequently requested by people with disabilities in higher education and post-secondary training settings. Although they are commonly used in educational settings for the removal of barriers in the curriculum and in the classroom, there are often several different ways to provide a student with access to the academic content and related activities. For info on how accommodations are determined, please read the section on Registering for Accommodations
  • Alternate testing conditions (i.e., extended time, low-distraction setting)
  • Note-taking support (i.e., Smartpens, volunteer note-takers for some courses)
  • Accessible/alternative text formats (i.e., large print, digital/e-book) 
  • Accessible classroom locations and spaces
  • Adaptive, assistive, or accessibly-designed technology
  • Sign language interpreter services
  • Captioned media or transcripts for audio-based course content:
    • MU instructors may refer to the Captioning & Audio Transcription Tools Resource List provided by SAS, to either create their own captions/transcripts or request professional captioning services (for a student in their course, through an SAS contractor). The cost of captioning may be billed to the instructor's academic department, based on the total cost estimated and the number of SAS-registered students who need it in the course. 
    • Please contact the Center for Teaching & Learning (CTL) Media Specialist or Executive Director for more information on the captioning support available to MU staff and faculty who are incorporating Universal Design principles for accessible media into their course or event planning ( or
    • Students with individual concerns or questions should contact the SAS office directly: Access, or schedule an appointment with the SAS Director (Starfish instructions here). 

Obtaining a copy of your letter of accommodations (FCS): 

Every semester, it's the responsibility of registered SAS students to obtain a currently-dated Faculty Contact Sheet ("letter of accommodations") from SAS, to meet with each professor and deliver a copy of the letter, to discuss their accommodations and related academic concerns with their professors, and to obtain each professor's signature(s) on a new FCS Faculty-Student signature page (available as a downloadable PDF from the SAS Forms page tab).

  • Students are encouraged to obtain a current SAS letter of accommodations early (before the start of the upcoming semester) to allow time for the coordination of support services.
  • Students who are concerned about their ability to communicate with their professor(s) may seek consultation from the Director of SAS beforehand, by scheduling an appointment online.

Students who only need another copy of their existing FCS and do not need to make changes to your approved accommodations are not required to meet with the SAS Director.

Please send requests for existing SAS accommodation letters to: Access , or walk-in to the CTL (Rowley G105) during normal business hours and the front desk staff can print it out for the student to sign and/or make copies for the student to give their professors. Students may have as many copies of the FCS as they need, along with a digital copy that can be forwarded directly to the student's MU e-mail address. 

For a comprehensive list of many possible accommodations and their links to specific academic issues and disability barriers, try one of these simple list builder tools:

(1) HopeList Accommodations Tool web app allows you to create printable lists with descriptions of accommodations that students may be eligible to have in college.
(2) Texthelp's Read & Write ToolMatcher allows users to create a personalized software "user guide" for R&W Gold, based on their individual learning styles.
Missed Classes (Absences)

SAS does not excuse class absences, late assignments, or missed exams. These are considered to be major modifications to the essential requirements of Marymount classes and are not typically considered to be an appropriate accommodation under the ADA/AA and related laws*.

If a student has missed multiple days of class and is unable to notify their professor(s) directly, the student or an outside advocate (if the student is incapacitated) should contact MU's Division of Student Affairs and request an Emergency Absence Notification Letter from the designated staff member on-call that day. SAS/CTL staff are not involved in the creation or distribution of these emergency notifications, and will not be able to contact instructors or supervisors to report student absences or make requests for make-up work/exams. 

he ADA/AA (MU falls under Title III) does not mandate that MU make alterations to essential program requirements, which include, but are not limited to, specific attendance policies, established course learning objectives, pre-/co-requisites, program completion requirements (i.e., credits and courses required for a major), etc. At their own discretion, instructors may consent to major modifications, such as excusing absences or allowing make-up work or exams, at the request of a student enrolled in their course, but this is NOT considered to be an SAS-approved accommodation and the student cannot assume that it will be allowed in other courses or with other instructors.

Looking for info on how accommodations are provided under the ADA/AA in the workplace or in other non-college settings? Visit the SAS webpage linked here.

Sven Jones, MPM, MA, MA

Director - Student Access Services

Maureen Dour

Learning Specialist - Access Services

Student Access Services

Phone: (703) 284-1538
Fax: (703) 284-6485

Office Location

Rowley Hall, G105