• MU Closed, Wed., February 20, due to inclement weatherupdated 02/19 at 05:06 PM EST

Housing Dining Plan Modification Policy

Requesting Housing Accommodations

Students who wish to request special housing accommodations must first complete the process of registering with Marymount's Office of Student Access Services (SAS). Upon registration with SAS, or anytime thereafter, the student must submit a Housing Accommodation Request Form and a supporting letter from a qualified, licensed healthcare provider (medical doctor, psychiatrist, medical specialist, psychologist, etc.). The student is required to make an appointment with the Director of SAS to discuss their housing accommodation request. SAS approval for housing accommodations may take 6-8 weeks to process, if the student has not previously received accommodations at Marymount. Students who have already registered with SAS can expect to hear back about their request within 2-3 weeks of their meeting with the SAS Director.

Approval for housing accommodations from SAS does not guarantee the availability of residential units on campus. Housing assignments are processed by the Office of Campus and Residential Services (OCRS) and students are required to follow the OCRS policies,  procedures, and timetables.

Students must complete the regular housing request process with OCRS. Upon approval from SAS for housing accommodations, OCRS will be informed and the student will be assigned or re-assigned, as appropriate and only IF that housing option is still available. Students are urged to obtain approval for housing accommodations from SAS 

Please be sure this typed letter contains:

  • A specific diagnosis of a disability or chronic medical condition.
  • A narrative about how this issue functionally impacts the student with regard to a community living environment.
  • The letterhead, credentials, and business card of the healthcare provider.
  • Recommendations for housing that would appropriately and reasonably accommodate the student.
    • If only one specific housing accommodation is being recommended by the provider, the letter must contain an explanation as to why the student is unable to fully participate in University housing without the specific accommodation (meaning, why would alternative accommodations be inappropriate, given the functional impact of this student's disability).

The request must be based upon a diagnosed disability or chronic medical condition which functionally impacts the student’s ability to live in a community residential setting.

Resubmitting Requests Annually

Special housing accommodations are not set for the student’s tenure at Marymount, and students are responsible for submitting a new request each school year.

Requests are reviewed by the Director of SAS, in consultation with the Office of Campus and Residential Services.

Release from Residency Requirement

The variety of housing accommodations on campus is limited, and while something may be requested and the student eligible, if it is simply not available the University cannot make the accommodation (for example: a private bathroom).

In such situations, the only reasonable accommodation may be release from the applicable residency requirement.

Dietary/Dining Accommodations

Students who have special dietary or dining concerns should also fill out the Housing Accommodations Request Form and include their specific disability-related dietary concerns and accommodation requests.