Disability Accommodations Syllabus Statement
Please include a statement similar to the following in course syllabi:
Students with Disabilities
If you are seeking accommodations (class/course adjustments) for a disability, here are the steps to take:
1) Register as a student with a disability with Student Access Services (SAS) in the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL). This process takes time, so engage with SAS as early as possible.
2) Once registered with SAS, you may be approved for accommodations by SAS. Approved accommodations will be listed on a “Faculty Contact Sheet” (FCS), and you will receive a copy of this FCS from SAS.
3) Meet with each of your instructors as soon as possible to review your accommodations as per the FCS, and have them sign the FCS. This document will help you and your instructors develop a plan for providing the approved accommodations.
4) Let SAS know if you have any concerns about how your accommodations are being implemented in the classroom.
Please remember that:
1) The steps above are required in order to be granted reasonable accommodations for disabling conditions.
2) Accommodations cannot be implemented retroactively. That is, accommodations can only be applied to a course after they have been approved by SAS, and after you have discussed your accommodations with your instructor and the instructor has signed the FCS.
3) Appointments with SAS staff are scheduled through the Starfish "Success Network" tab (you can access Starfish through Canvas). For more information, check the SAS website, e-mail email@example.com, or call 703-284-1538.
Temporary challenges due to accident, illness, etc. that may result in missing class or navigating general campus access do not necessarily fall under the purview of SAS. If you experience something of this nature, please start by alerting your instructors. The Dean of Student Success may be involved in alerting instructors in extreme cases.
General Faculty Topics:
First Day of Class Announcement
Obtain a Copy of the Faculty Contact Sheet
Discuss Student Accommodation Request(s)
Consult with the SAS director when necessary
Evaluate Accommodation Success
Reasonable and Unreasonable Accommodations
Advising for Students with Disabilities