SAS Student FAQs

Where is the SAS office located and how do I get into the building?

The SAS office is in Rowley G105.  Both the first floor lobby entrance and the G-1 lower level entrance of Rowley Hall have automatic door openers. These entrances are keycard-restricted outside of regular business hours.

Will my instructor be notified, if I have accommodations?

Generally, it is the student’s responsibility to inform faculty members regarding approved accommendations. MU instructors are unable to provide disability accommodations without an official letter, known as the Faculty Contact Sheet or FCS from the office of Student Access Services.

How do I arrange accommodations with my instructor?

Register with the office of Student Access Services and obtain a Faculty Contact Sheet (FCS).

Should a student with a disability take a certain number of credits per semester? Is it a good idea for them to forego condensed summer courses?

Students should work with their academic advisor to determine course load and academic schedule.

Is tutoring available to students with disability?

The Student Academic Hub provides all students with access to academic tutors and writing development specialists. Tutoring hours and schedules are made available to students with disabilities, to the same extent that they are available to students without disabilities. (Tutoring may not be available for some upper-level courses).
Additionally, the Student Academic Hub offers workshops and academic coaching to students who are interested in improving their organizational and study skills.
At times, an accommodation may be needed, in order to facilitate a help session and ensure equal access to services (i.e., accessible meeting location, sign language interpreters).

How much individual attention will I receive as a student with a disability?

As a MU student, you can expect to receive the same level of services and attention as non-disabled students, with the exception of disability-based accommodations.  The “mainstreamed” environment may be different from what you are accustomed to, particularly if you are coming from a special education program in high school or special class at community college.

Where do students with disability obtain help with study skills, meeting deadlines, and course selections?

A network of services is available to all students on campus, including those with disabilities.  The SAS (Student Access Services) provides assistance with study skills, and advisers in the academic department and college assist with course selection.  As an enrolled student, you are responsible for being aware of, and following, all policies, rules and resignation of Marymount including observing deadlines.

Are there special classes for students with disabilities at MU?Unlike high schools and community colleges, MU does not offer special classes for students with disabilities. It is expected that incoming MU students are academically prepared to pursue university studies.

Unlike high schools and community colleges, MU does not offer special classes for students with disabilities.  It is expected that incoming MU students are academically prepared to pursue university studies.

Are students with disabilities provided enrollment assistance?

Students who cannot the online registration system, due to disability, may be provided with direct assistance as an accommodation.  All requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.

Does SAS (Student Access Services) provide assessment or diagnostic of learning disabilities (or any other disability)?

No, but there is a referral list that can be provided, upon request from SAS. Please contact the SAS Auxiliary Services liaison at 703-284-5761 OR -1538.

How many students with disabilities are here at Marymount? What types?

It's difficult to estimate how many Marymount students have disabilities because in college, students are not required to disclose a disability, unless they would like to receive accommodations and support services on the basis of a disability.
The total number of enrolled students who are registered with Student Access Services ranges from 150 - 200 in any given semester. Only a tiny percentage (4%) of those students have physical disabilities that would be obvious to an observer. As with most colleges, MU's population of SWD's primarily fall into the ADHD and Learning Disability categories (~75%). About 20% have psychological disabilities, like Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression; 8-9% have an Autism Spectrum Disorder. These percentages do not equal 100% because some students fall into multiple disability categories.

What do I need to do each semester to continue receiving accommodations?

If their are no changes to your accommedations, simply contact the office of Student Access Services at or (703) 284-1538. and request an updated Faculty Contact Sheet.  If you are interested in changes to your approved accomendations schedule a meeting with the director of Student Access Services through Starfish.

I have a state-issued disability parking placard/pass/plate. How do I locate accessible parking spaces on Marymount campuses?

If you are only requesting information on parking please contact Campus Security at (703) 284-1600 or the Parking/ID Office at (703) 284-5700. Student Access Service is not needed.

What housing and/or dining accommodations are available at MU, if I have a disability?

For students with physical disabilities who reside on campus, reasonable environmental or architectural adjustments can be made to their living spaces by MU. These adjustments may include, but are not limited to: reducing door tension, lofting beds, etc. If available, single room assignments may be granted to students when no other available accommodation is deemed reasonable by SAS. Requests will not be considered until the student has registered with the Office of Student Access Services and submitted the appropriate materials.
The specific housing accommodations that can be granted are contingent upon the availability of space and resources, as well as a thorough assessment of alternative accommodation options. SAS will discuss these options with the student and recommend methods that can reduce or eliminate their disability-related barriers (i.e., earplugs for noise sensitivity, headphones for distractibility, staff-assisted roommate negotiations for atypical sleeping patterns).
MU offers a large variety of meal choices, including a refrigerator in the Gerard Dining Hall (next to the cashier) that contains gluten-free options. If additional dining accommodations are needed, please contact Sodexo.

How do I obtain housing accommodations for disability-related concerns?

Before obtaining any housing accommodations, students must:
  • Officially register with Student Access Services
  • Submit a Special Housing Accommodation Request Form to the Office of Campus and Residential Services.  The disability documentation that is submitted to SAS must specifically address the connection between the student’s diagnosed disability and the housing accommodation being requested.
Approval is contingent upon the availability of campus housing. If the approved housing accommodation is unavailable, the student may request permission to opt-out of MU’s residential requirements so that they can live off-campus.

How do I obtain dining accommodations for disability-related concerns?

Requests for dining accommodations are processed by Sodexo. Meal plan options and Contact Information

Sven Jones, MPM, MA, MA

Director - Student Access Services

Maureen Dour, MS

Learning Specialist - Student Access Services

Office Hours

Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm


Rowley 1005, Main Campus

Contact Information

Phone: (703) 284-1538
Fax: (703) 284-6485