Withdrawing from the University

Registration Terms and Conditions and Promise to Pay

Please click here for Marymount's Registration Terms and Conditions and Promise to Pay.

Refund Information

Please click here for Marymount University's refund policy. Please contact the Student Accounts Office at or 703-284-1490 if you have questions about this policy.

Course Withdrawal Information

Students can add or drop courses online or in person up to the date specified in the Academic Calendar.

To drop a course or courses, students should complete an Add/Drop form at the Office of the Registrar or access their course schedule via My MU Plan. Students may only withdraw from a course or courses by contacting the Office of the Registrar. Students should email the Office of the Registrar ( from their MU email account if they are unable to drop or withdraw from a class via My MU Plan.

If dropping or withdrawing from a course will change your enrollment status (e.g. dropped you from full-time to half-time, etc.), please discuss with any offices that you work closely with (e.g. Financial Aid, Athletics, International Student Services, OCRS, Veteran Student Services, etc.) how this change can impact your student status for the semester.

Information for Students who Withdraw from all Courses and Plan to Return to Marymount in a Future Semester

All degree and certificate candidates must maintain active status at the university until all requirements are satisfied. As such, students who plan to return to the university after withdrawing from all courses should request to be placed on Continuous Registration. Continuous Registration status allows students to re-enroll in a future semester without submitting an application for readmission. Students may request Continuous Registration status for up to two semesters by obtaining email approval from their associate or assistant dean. Students approved for Continuous Registration will be reported to the National Student Clearinghouse as withdrawn. They will enter their federal student loan grace period as of that date, and if they have previously used up their student loan grace period, they will immediately enter into loan repayment. For Marymount's complete Continuous Registration policy, please click here (undergraduate students) and here (graduate students).

Information for Students who Plan to Completely Withdraw from the University


Before the last day to add classes, any newly admitted student who wishes to withdraw from the university or defer their admission, should notify via email the offices of Admissions (, and the Registrar ( Any returning student, or newly admitted student after the last day to add classes, who wishes to withdraw from the university, should notify the Office of the Registrar electronically or in writing by submitting a Separation Form approved by their associate dean. The date the student notifies the Office of the Registrar of their intent to separate is the official date that determines the student’s financial responsibility to the university. Any tuition refund or credit will be calculated based on the withdrawal/separation date recorded by the Office of the Registrar. The last date to file a request for separation for enrolled students is the last day of classes as indicated by the Academic Calendar.

Students who stop attending courses without officially withdrawing from the course or separating from the university will receive a failing grade.