• 10 AM opening, Thursday, Nov 15updated 11/15 at 05:17 AM EST

Marymount Policies

Temporary Disabilities

Upon direct referral from the Dean of Student Success in the Division of Student Affairs, students with temporary injuries or medical conditions, such as a broken arm or concussion (head trauma) may be eligible to receive reasonable accommodations through the SAS office, on a short-term basis. 

SAS primarily supports those students with long-term disabilities and registration with SAS for short-term injuries may not be appropriate or permitted in many cases. 

Elevator Access Only
If mobility is impacted by a temporary injury, please take your medical documentation to the Division of Student Affairs, Dean of Student Success, to request approval to use the access-restricted elevators and entrances on Marymount's campus. Students who are only in need of access to the restricted elevators or entrances on campus do not need to visit SAS.

Missed Classes (Absences)
SAS does not excuse class absences, late assignments, or missed exams. These are considered to be major modifications to the essential requirements of Marymount classes. If a student has missed multiple days of class, they should be directed to meet with the Dean of Student Success in the Division of Student Affairs, to have an Absence Notification Letter sent to their instructors. The course instructor must consent to excusing absences and missed assignments, and is not required to allow these kinds of modifications under the ADA/AA.

Other Accommodations and Supports
If an injured student requires classroom accommodations, Marymount's Division of Student Affairs, Dean of Student Success, will review the student's documentation and if needed, the Dean will refer the student to SAS for temporary accommodations.  An initial visit to the Dean's office is needed, in order to determine the length of time for which accommodations will be needed for the student. The Dean will inform SAS and work with the student to ensure curricular and physical access.

The Dean of Student Success (in the Division of Student Affairs) will determine whether the student needs temporary accommodations and will refer the student to the appropriate support services department, accordingly: 

SAS Office - coordinates classroom accommodations and training for accessible technologies, like text-reader software and built-in PC apps for voice recognition and virtual keyboarding.

Parking/ID Office - provides access to restricted elevators on campus and information on accessible parking locations.

Division of Student Affairs - can send an emergency absence letter to instructors and University officials (this is a notification letter and does not excuse class absences).

Other applicable University support services.

*Please Note: Injured athletes and Spirit team members must be evaluated by the designated medical professional in the Athletics Division, to be assessed for their ability to return to class. 

Requirements for Temporary SAS Accommodations

BEFORE contacting the Office of Student Access Services (SAS), students who belong to this "temporary injury" category must contact the Dean of Student Success, in the Division of Student Affairs, so that their recovery needs can be assessed.  

​The student's medical documentation must be written by a licensed health care professional who is currently supporting the student's recovery. The health care professional authoring the documentation must be an impartial individual from outside of Marymount, who is not a family member of the student. 

Course Substitution/Curriculum Modification Policy

As deemed appropriate, Marymount University may utilize course modifications to accommodate students, but the University does not waive required courses, including Liberal Arts Core mathematics.

Housing/Dining Plan Modification Policy

Students who require modifications for housing accommodations or special consideration for dining concerns must complete an application and submit documentation to SAS.

Personal Care Attendant Policy

Marymount University understands that Personal Care Attendants (PCAs) may be necessary to address the personal needs of a student with a disability in order for that student to fully participate at the University. Students who require the use of a Personal Care Attendant are responsible for completing the necessary paperwork and submitting appropriate documentation.

Policy on Service and Support Animals

Please click the link above for a PDF of the policy.

Externally Recommended Accommodations

Marymount is not required to provide the exact accommodation or modification requested by the student or their treating/assessing professional. For example, requests for accommodations that would alter essential course elements known as “core learning outcomes” may be deemed “unreasonable”. If this occurs, there may be more feasible alternatives that would appropriately and fairly accommodate the student’s disability needs.

Center for Teaching and Learning

Rowley, G105
2807 North Glebe Road
Arlington, VA 22207

Phone: (703) 284-1538
Fax: (703) 284-6485

Office Hours:

Monday-Thursday 9 am to 7 pm
Friday 9 am to 5 pm

Questions? Contact Us