About Starfish at MU - Your Right to Know as a Student
Starfish is a retention tool to support your academic success. Starfish engages students and the campus in success, helping to build long lasting relationships between students and our faculty.
- Faculty members do not see flags that have been raised by other faculty members. Flags can only be viewed by you, the faculty member who raised the flag, advisors, and the individuals in the office associated with the flag you received. Advisors will reach out to you and contact you regarding faculty flags. The person who raised the flag can lower it as soon as you have resolved the issue.
- Always respond to any Starfish flag. It was raised in support of you, not against you. Even when a flag indicates missing work or missing class time, please realize the flag lets you know that you matter. Your presence and participation are vital to your success. If you don't communicate back to an instructor or advisor, it becomes difficult to know how to support your needs and success. Your advisor is your faculty advocate. Respond, reach out, and remain in contact.
- The Starfish system is NOT punitive. The main goal of using Starfish is to help you connect with faculty and resources, and to achieve your best success during your time at Marymount University. Starfish gives you the power to be in control of your academic career and be a part of a larger Marymount community. We are here to help you with any aspect of support you may need while at Marymount.
- Starfish data is protected under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). To learn more about what FERPA is and the rights it affords you click here.
- Kudos are flags faculty use to highlight improvements you've made or outstanding efforts on your part. You have a right to be very proud of kudos; they are well deserved and we congratulate you and celebrate your success.
- Login into the my.marymount.edu.
- Starfish is a link in the left sidebar.
- Selecting a course is available through the Courses tab in the left sidebar of Starfish.
The materials here will help you use Starfish Retention Solutions. If you have additional questions, feel free to contact us.
Starfish for Students
Starfish for Faculty