Before Your Student Departs

Expectations of parents

  • Realize that the majority of our communications should be directly with your son or daughter, but feel free to ask us for clarification or program updates
  • Keep open communication with your student about the details of his or her study abroad program that includes, but is not limited to, academic information, travel arrangements, and finances
  • Empower your son or daughter, through support and guidance, to take the lead in managing his or her own study abroad experience
  • Understand FERPA regulations as they apply to dissemination of student information; please know that for your student’s safety, we are obliged to follow federal law. Please see here for more information about FERPA

Necessary Documents

  • If your student does not already have one, please ensure that they have applied for a passport as soon as possible. If they already have a passport, remind them that in order to be valid for travel, their passport must not expire within 6 months after the date they return from their time abroad
  • Your student may also need support in obtaining a visa to study abroad depending on the country they are going to and how long they are going for. Obtaining a visa incurs a separate cost not included in the program fee that families should be aware of and prepared for

Information your son or daughter should leave with you before departure

  • The name, address, and phone number of the MU Center for Global Education.
  • The address and contact information for the campus abroad, as well as his or her phone number in housing (if applicable; not all programs list the housing address)
  • The emergency phone number for the on-site program director (if applicable), which students receive prior to departure
  • Your student’s bank account and credit card information, if your student wishes for you to access his or her accounts while abroad
  • Copies of travel documents: passport, visa, etc.
  • Flight information

Money Matters

  • Credit Cards – Most student travelers should carry a minimum of one debit card and one credit card. Visa and MasterCard are very widely accepted around the world
  • Foreign Currency – If desired, you can order small amounts of foreign currency from a commercial bank or AAA prior to leaving the United States (allow a few days processing time), or your student can obtain it at a currency exchange window in the airport prior to leaving the United States or upon arrival in the host country. Check with your bank for this service.

Prescription Drugs

These are the guidelines for medications when going overseas:

  • Your student must have a sufficient quantity of medications for the entire time that he or she is overseas
  • The medications should be in the pharmacy container with the label on it
  • The medications must be carried in the carry-on bag, not in the checked luggage (in case that gets diverted);
  • Your student should also have a prescription written in clear form just in case there is a need to obtain the prescription overseas (if the medication is lost by the student, for example);
  • If your insurance carrier does not permit medication to be filled for more than 30 days, you will need to get your physician to intervene
  • If the medication is a complex one, please do converse with your physician

Feel free to contact HTH Worldwide or the Center for Global Education with any questions about prescription medications.