Travel, Health & Safety Information

The Center for Global Education at Marymount University encourages safe, culturally respectful global travel by MU students, faculty, and staff and wants to provide all of the information necessary to make those travels as successful as possible.  

Do Your Research!

  • To make the most of your time abroad, it is important to spend time researching the countries to which you will travel. What language(s) are spoken? What events are currently impacting their citizens? What is the current political structure and what challenges has the country faced over time? 
    • Use this comprehensive Education Abroad Resource Guide to start exploring the answers to these questions and more as you prepare for your travels. The more context you have regarding the country you will be visiting, the more meaningful the international experience!

Get a Passport

Global Travel Registry

Health & Travel Insurance

  • All students, faculty, and staff who participate in any study abroad programs coordinated by Marymount University's CGE are provided with limited health and accident insurance through the ACE Travel Assist Insurance Program. ACE Travel Assist provides health coverage for accidents, sickness, medical conditions that may arise, and emergency medical reunion. 
  • Participants will be given an ACE Travel Assist membership card and policy description by the CGE staff in the weeks leading up to their program departure. 

U.S. Department of State Resources

  • United States Department of State U.S. Study Abroad Branch - The U.S. Study Abroad Branch of the United States Department of State has a website with helpful resources on how to get informed, register your travel, and maintain your health and stafey while abroad.
  • ​Travel Alerts & Warnings  —  Marymount categorizes the risk level of traveling to foreign countries based on U.S. Department of State and/or Centers for Disease Control travel notices. According to those notices and Marymount’s subsequent categorization of a country’s risk level, certain conditions or restrictions on university-related travel may apply. The CGE will inform all stakeholders of any relevant travel warnings that may threaten an upcoming program or study location as needed.
  • State Department Country Information  — The State Department provides information on every country in the world, such as the location of the U.S. embassy and any consular offices; whether you need a visa; crime and security information; health and medical conditions; drug penalties and localized hot spots.
  • Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) — If you are planning to travel abroad, register for the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive the latest travel warnings, alerts and information about the country where you will be traveling.
  • Student Travel Information — Visit the State Department’s newly designed website for information specific to students interested in traveling abroad.
  • Passport Information — Info about obtaining and renewing a U.S. passport. Please allow yourself plenty of time — up to six months — before your departure to apply for or renew your passport. 

Traveler Health

A number of U.S. and global institutions maintain information about outbreaks of disease and other issues that may affect health, on a country by country basis. For more information on health, including recommended vaccinations, visit:

Marymount Student Health Center Support
Marymount University's Student Health Center (SHC) provides students with travel health education as well as vaccinations prior to their departure for study abroad.

For appointments please call the Student Health Center at 703.284.1610 or visit their website for more travel health information.