Required Documentation & Paperwork

Once a department or office decides to hire you, the Center for Career Services checks your employment eligibility and prepares your employment contract. You will receive an e-mail from the Center for Career Services ( directing you on when and where you can pick up your employment paperwork. Please keep in mind that the Center for Career Services typically creates contracts on Mondays for hires reported during the previous week.

After you have picked up an employment contract, go to Human Resource Services in Ireton Hall to submit it and complete other paperwork (see below).  Human Resource Services is open Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Required Identification

You will need to bring one original, unexpired document that proves your identity and one original, unexpired document that proves your authorization to work in the United States. Typically, that documentation includes one of the following:
  • A passport (which covers both requirements)
  • A driver's license AND social security card
  • A driver's license AND birth certificate
  • If you do not have these documents, a list of other documentation that is acceptable can be found on page 9 of the I-9 form.
Documentation MUST be presented to Human Resource Services prior to your first day of work.  Copies of documents are NOT acceptable. If your documentation is kept at your primary residence outside of the DC metro area, you may need to have the documents mailed to you.  Please plan accordingly. 

Required Forms

In addition to signing the employment contract, all new and returning students must complete the following paperwork before beginning work. Students must update employment paperwork at the start of the Fall and Summer employment periods. Contact Human Resource Services at (703) 284-1680 for more information about these forms.
  • I-9 Form
  • Tax Forms
  • Confidentiality Agreement (found on the back of the employment contract)
  • Direct Deposit Form (optional)
  • Background Investigation Form (America Reads Literacy Program Employees only)
You will receive a Student Employment Paperwork Receipt after all paperwork is complete. You MUST present this receipt to your supervisor so he or she will know you are cleared to work.