Federal Work-Study (FWS)

How do I know if I have a FWS award and/or how much I have been awarded?

The Office of Financial Aid determines the FWS award amount for each student per year.  For more information, please call the Office of Financial Aid at 703-284-1530 or visit their website.

College Work-Study awards cannot be applied to University charges. To decline a FWS award, you must notify the Office of Financial Aid in writing. To accept your FWS award, simply start the job application process.

Am I guaranteed a FWS job if I want one?

Marymount offers federal work-study to students who qualify based on financial need and fund availability, and the College Work-Study award is an estimate of what you may earn during the academic year.  However, there are a limited number of positions available on campus each year for students wishing to use the federal work-study award.  Students who wish to use their work study award must apply to and interview for available work study jobs. While students are not automatically guaranteed an on-campus position, Marymount is committed to working closely with students to assist them in their search. 

Where will I work and what will I be doing?

There are a variety of different jobs that are available to students across campus.  In general, most jobs fall under the following categories:
  • Office/Staff Support
    • Most jobs on campus offer students the opportunity to work with either an office or an individual staff/faculty member.  These jobs tend to require a skill set that a student will need in order to begin working immediately.  These jobs may require proficiency with specific software, the ability to perform a particular task, or willingness to learn on the job. 
  • Desk Attendants
    • Desk attendants typically answer questions over the phone and in person and/or monitor traffic through a residence hall or building. 
  • Off-Campus Community Service
    • FWS recipients have the unique opportunity to give back to the local community while earning their awards.  The America Reads Literacy program and other community service-based programs are jobs that focus on providing educational support to elementary school children and other underserved members of the community.  While these jobs are located off-campus, students who accept these positions are paid at a highly competitive rate and receive compensation for their travel time (transportation is not provided).

How many hours can I work?

Working hours are generally limited to 10 hours a week while classes are in session and up to 20 hours during extended university breaks (such as Spring Break) and the summer semester.  Your academic obligations are expected to come first.  Campus employers who hire FWS recipients understand that and will work with you to arrange your work hours around your classes.

How much will I earn?

The hourly wage rate for each job is based upon the nature of the work and the knowledge and experience required for the job. 
Level Score Pay Rate
Grade 1 5‐10 No jobs rated at this level
Grade 2 11‐15 $7.50
Grade 3 16‐20 $8.00
Grade 4 21‐36 $8.50

How will I be paid?

FWS is NOT a deduction against tuition.  Hours are reported on an online timesheet based on a two week schedule starting on Sunday and ending on the second Saturday.  Student employees are paid through either a physical check or direct deposit into the student’s bank account on the second Friday after the timesheet is due.  The student’s pay is not applied toward a student’s tuition cost. 

How can I apply for jobs?

To view available FWS positions, visit Handshake.  You will see the category ‘Work-Study Positions.’ 

When can I search for jobs and apply?

Available positions are posted and students are hired during hiring periods each semester.  The hiring periods for Fall begin mid-July and run through the end of October.  The hiring periods for Spring begin early January and run through early March. 

Can I apply for more than one job?

A student can apply for as many FWS* positions as he/she wants.  However, a student can ultimately only accept one offer of FWS employment.

*FWS students are not eligible to apply to CE (Campus Employment) jobs.

Will I lose my award if I wait to apply to jobs?

Not necessarily.  Most students who begin working by October 1st will eventually earn their full award by working 10 hours per week when classes are in session.  Even if a student does not use the full award, the student’s chances for receiving a work-study award the next year are not necessarily diminished.  

What paperwork will I need to complete after I am hired?

All employees of Marymount University must comply with Federal laws.  Prior to beginning employment those who are hired and accept a FWS position MUST present original documentation proving identity and work authorization, in addition to completing federal and state tax forms. 

Students interested in working on campus will need to have in their possession original documentation that proves their identity and authorization to work. Typically, that documentation includes a passport; or driver's license AND social security card; or driver's license AND birth certificate. If a student does not have any of these, the student must contact HR Services at (703) 284-1680 to find out what other documentation may be acceptable.

Do I have to work in a FWS job if I receive a FWS award?

No.  Money earned from a FWS job is not applied to a student’s account, and a student is not required to accept or earn the award.  Please note, however, that the student will only receive FWS funds when actively employed in a FWS position. 

FWS award distribution is determined each year by the Office of Financial Aid.  The Financial Aid staff does not necessarily look at whether a student has previously used FWS funds when determining future awards.  Therefore, a student can choose to decline a FWS award one year and then be granted and accept a FWS award the following year.  

I had a FWS award this year. Will I always have a FWS award in the future?

Not necessarily.  Whether a student has a FWS award in a given year is dependent on many factors including (but not limited to) the amount of income reported on a student’s FAFSA, the amount of grants, scholarships, and/or loans that are applied to a student’s account, and the amount of funding that is available for the school to distribute.  Check your financial aid package every year to make sure you have a FWS award.  Students who are not awarded FWS are eligible for Campus Employment positions.