Program FAQs



How long does it take to complete a master’s program in counseling?

Most students complete the 60-credit program in 2.5 -3 years if students are enrolled full-time. The program has to be completed within a period of five years.  

When are classes offered?

Most courses are offered Monday through Thursday and at 3:30 pm and 6:30 pm. Advanced clinical courses are rotated in morning/afternoon/evening to accommodate practica and internships. A 5-week Saturday class is currently scheduled spring, and in the summer, a course is offered as a one week class in the summer. If there are multiple sections in one semester, the department attempts to schedule them on alternate times.

Where are classes and the program located?

The program and classes are located at the Ballston Academic Center (BAC), approximately 1.5 miles from Marymount University’s Main Campus. During the redevelopment of the BAC, all classes and lab classes will be held at 4040 Fairfax (The Swing Space).

How many of my credits will transfer?

According to Marymount University’s policy, students can only transfer 12 credits to a master’s program, and only classes that were completed within the past 5 years. Marymount University’s Course Review Committee has to review these credits and decide whether they are acceptable and equivalent to Marymount University’s accreditation classes. Students may not transfer any clinical classes (CE522, 523, 597, 599) or any online classes. In addition, for students who are interested in pursuing licensure, Marymount University cannot guarantee that a counseling licensure board will accept the courses transferred from another educational institution. Students should take the core classes at Marymount University to ensure that they will meet the requirements for licensure.

Is the counseling program accredited?

The Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) program is currently accredited by the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) until 2017. In 2009, the 60-credit Pastoral Counseling program was accredited by CACREP until 2017. The School Counseling program is accredited by CACREP and by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). 

Is Fall the only time I can enroll?

Students in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program and the Pastoral Counseling program are admitted in the Fall semester. With permission, Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Pastoral Counseling students may take classes during the summer prior to their official admission date. Students in the School Counseling program begin the Summer semester (see School Counseling section).

What is the cut-off for the GRE scores and GPA?

Applications are reviewed in a holistic manner. There is no standard minimum for GRE scores as long as the rest of the items in the application meet the requirements. 

Do you offer a certificate program?


What is the employment rate for your graduates?

In 2013 45 students graduated from Marymount University’s Counseling programs: Clinical Mental Health Counseling (29), School Counseling (13), and Pastoral Counseling (3). Marymount University’s  graduates consistently achieve high pass rates on licensing examinations. The pass rate for all of our graduates taking the NCE examination in 2013 was 98% (98% CMHC; 95% SC; 100% PC). Of the admitted students, 67% from CMHC; 87% from SC; and 71% from PC graduate from their programs in the expected time period and 83% (CMHC); 100% (SC); and 100% (PC) of program graduates responding to surveys have confirmed employment.

Do students in a counseling program have to be in counseling themselves?

Yes. From the admissions interview to the graduation ceremony, students have many opportunities for personal growth and greater self-awareness. Some of the courses include experiential activities and role-plays. In addition, students meet with a doctoral counselor for a limited number of sessions as a part of a course requirement.  The purpose is for wellness preparation and understanding of the client in counseling. There is no charge for this wellness experience provided by the Department of Counseling.



Frequently Asked Questions


Counseling Department

Marymount University
2807 N. Glebe Road
Arlington, VA 22207

Phone: (800) 548-7638
 (703) 284-5901

Questions? Contact Us

Interested in graduate work in Counseling? Download the Guide to Getting a Master's in Counseling now!

Counseling (M.A.)

Counseling (M.A.)