Secondary Education (M.Ed.)
This program is designed for persons who already have a B.A. or B.S. in any of the following content areas: biology, chemistry, computer science, earth science, English, history and social science, mathematics, or physics.
In order to maintain currency in the content area, students seeking a teaching license at the secondary level (grades 6-12) must have satisfactorily completed a course in their licensure endorsement area within five years prior to applying for a Virginia teaching license through Marymount.
Many courses require field experience. See course descriptions for details.
The M.Ed. in secondary education is available at Marymount’s Arlington locations with classes held on the main campus and some offered at the Ballston Center. The program is also available in a weekend cohort format.
(ED 502 and ED 503 are required as the first courses in this program, as they provide the foundation for all other courses.)
*Students in the Secondary Education program who are solely interested in licensure may apply for a Virginia teaching license after successfully completing all of these courses.
#ED 552 and ED 570B must be taken at the same time.
- ED 502 Foundations of Education*
- ED 503 Curriculum: Theory and Practice*
- ED 509 Special Educationi: Foundations and Characteristics of Exceptional Learners*
- ED 516 Adolescent Psychology*
- ED 526 Cross-cultural/International Curricula
- ED 537 Reading Across the Curriculum: Secondary*
- ED 538 Secondary Teaching Methods*
- ED 550 Research Methods
- ED 552 Effective Classroom Management*#
- ED 554 Computers and Technology in the Classroom*
- ED 568 Teaching English and Social Studies in Middle/ Secondary School* or ED 569 Teaching Science and Mathematics in Middle/Secondary School*
- ED 570B Student Teaching: Secondary*#