Student Research and Service
Our students are offered the opportunity to conduct research and work directly with a healthcare organization on a topic of their interest through two Capstone projects.
In the HCM 555 (Healthcare Strategic Planning & Marketing) Capstone project, students develop a strategic plan for a specific healthcare unit (department), a specific product-line, or the organization as a whole. This project involves readings, analyses, fieldwork (speaking to experts in the field), recommendations, and a final report.
Students complete another Capstone project in the HCM 565 (Healthcare Cases and Projects) course. This project provides an opportunity for each student to conduct an in-depth exploration of a particular healthcare setting and area of interest. Students are responsible for identifying a partner organization for their project with the help of the faculty.
- Below are a few examples of organizations that our students have developed individual business plans for.
- Vinson Hall Retirement Community
- Medstar Georgetown Transplant Institute
- JHU Sibley Memorial Hospital
- Virginia Hospital Center, Wound Healing & Hyperbaric Center
- Specialists on Call, Inc.
- American Hospital Association
- Arlington Academy of Hope
- Virginia Hospital Center Physician Group
- Children’s National Health System
- U.S. Department of Defense / Department of Veterans Affairs
- Inova Schar Cancer Center
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
A few examples of student projects are:
- Medstar Georgetown Transplant Institute Business Development Plan: Infusion Services
- Clinical Ladder Model Recommendations for the Pharmaceutical Industry
- The Improvement of Inpatient Conversion Rates at a Local Hospital
- Recommendations for a Health Records Systems for a non-profit Medical Clinic in Uganda
- An Analysis of the Impact of the PACE Program on a Local Healthcare System
- Care and Management of Hospice Patients with Opioid Addiction Issues
- Reducing process time of Integrated Disability Evaluation System.
- Inova Commission on Cancer Integrated Network Cancer Program Proposal