Internships & Careers
Marymount Philosophy majors have numerous internship opportunities throughout the Washington, DC, area and around the world. Since Philosophy majors receive strong training in critical thinking, text analysis and interpretation, information literacy and writing, students are able to apply the skills and knowledge they develop in the major to a diverse array of opportunities, including human service agencies, as well as federal government and congressional offices.
Careers & Further Study
Upon graduation from Marymount with a B.A. in Philosophy, consider the following options:
- Graduate study in Philosophy with an aim toward teaching. Marymount graduates have been admitted to Tulane, Princeton, Northern Illinois, American University, NYU, and Wesley Theological Seminary.
- Law School. Philosophy is a preferred major for students going to law school. Marymount students have attended law school at CUNY, Widener, and American University.
- Business School. Top business schools prefer students with a humanities background because it shows that they are “out-of-the-box” thinkers.
- Graduate programs in Public Policy. Marymount students have gone on to programs at American University and George Washington University in Public Policy and later go on to work in one of the many nonprofit or nongovernmental organizations in the Washington, DC, area.
- Teaching high school. In order to do this, the student will need to earn teaching licensure. By working with an advisor from MU’s School of Education and Human Services and through careful course selection, students will be able to earn this licensure in order to teach in public and private schools. Marymount has some close connections with several private high schools in the area.
- Entry-level positions in business. Many businesses are interested in students with a Philosophy degree because they have great career potential.
Marymount’s Center for Career Services can help students prepare for the internship and job search, polish a résumé, and practice interviewing skills. Grad school bound? Marymount’s DISCOVER Program stands ready with tips about applying for and thriving in graduate-study pursuits.