The Honors Program at Marymount University provides a unique opportunity for students who are seeking academic challenges and the support of an active learning community.
Entering first-year students, current Marymount first-year students, and transfer students may apply. The Honors Program is academically diverse and strives to complement every academic major at the University. Admission is very competitive and limited to approximately 20 new students each year.
Transfer students who will enter Marymount as first-year or sophomore students (64 or less total transfer credit hours) are eligible to apply to the Honors Program, as are students transferring from other Honors Programs (e.g. NOVA). These applicants should consult with the Honors Director to determine the feasibility of completing the Honors curriculum in a timely fashion. Honors credits from another regionally accredited university may transfer toward Marymount’s Honors Program with approval from the Honors Program Committee.
In addition to the University’s general admission requirements, the following credentials are required for those seeking admission to the Honors Program:
- Minimum high school or college GPA of 3.50
- Preferred minimum composite (Math and Critical Reading) SAT score of 1270 on the new test, 1200 on the old test, and/or composite (English, Reading, Math, and Science) ACT score of 26.
- All applicants should demonstrate an enthusiasm for reading and a strong background in research and writing.
To apply to Marymount's Honors Program, applicants must:
- Submit an Honors Program application. This application is separate from the university application.
- Submit an Honors specific essay.
- Submit at least two letters of recommendation. Recommendations should be written by teachers and others qualified to comment on academic performance. One recommendation should speak specifically to a student's ability to thrive in an Honors Program.
- Complete an interview with a member of the Honors Program Committee.
November 11th - Spring Semester and Early Fall Admissions Deadline.
January 13th - Second Fall Semester Deadline.
March 8th - Final Fall Semester Deadline.
Acceptance to the university, and meeting the minimum Honors Program requirements, in no way guarantees admittance to the Honors Program under any circumstance.
For more information regarding application procedures, contact the Honors director or the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.