How do I find out who my advisor is?

For entering first year students, transfer students with less than 30 credits and undeclared transfer students, advisors are assigned. Students will have an opportunity to meet their first year advisors during new student orientation.

Do I have to see an advisor to register for classes?

Yes, all new entering students must see an advisor prior to registering for classes. All continuing first year and undeclared transfer students must also see an advisor prior to registration.

What is an advisor’s role?

Academic Advisors help students select their classes each semester. The advisors help students stay on track with their general education requirements, and recommend courses helpful to the anticipated major. Advisors help undecided students determine a major, and/or a minor, given the students interests and aptitudes. Advisors also help students experiencing difficulties or challenges, academic or personal, connect with appropriate resources to help resolve potential obstacles to their success.

How do I contact my advisor?

Academic Advisors are available by phone, through e-mail, and in person by appointment. Appointments can be scheduled via Starfish.

When can I see my advisor?

The First year advisors are available 9:00am to 5:00pm weekdays, year-round, excluding University holidays. Pre-registration advising is usually by appointment, and advisors are often available on a drop-in basis as their schedules allow.

What do I do if my advisor is not available?

When your advisor is not available and you need immediate assistance, feel free to stop by the Center for Teaching and Learning, and someone will assist you. One of the other advisors may be able to help you resolve your issue in person. Alternately, you may be able to resolve your issue through e-mail contact.

Do I have the same advisor every year?

No, entering first year students, transfer students with less than 30 credits and undeclared transfers are assigned a first year academic advisor.  After a student’s completion of their first year, they will be assigned a faculty advisor within their major.  Once an undeclared transfer student declares a major, he/she will be assigned an advisor in their major.

Can my advisor tell my parents what courses I am taking?

In accordance with protections extended by FERPA, your advisor may be able to discuss your class schedule with your parents ONLY with your signed, written permission. You must specifically request that your advisor speak with your parent(s), and you must specify what information can be discussed, and within what timeframe. Generally, your advisor will encourage you to discuss your schedule with your parents directly. If parents call or contact the advisor independent of the student, or without a signed release on file, the parent will be encouraged to talk to the student directly and reminded of the FERPA limitations.

How do I access my Marynet account?

You can access your Marynet account, by visiting Next, click on “current students” located in the information section. Followed by, clicking on “Marynet” located on the right side of the web page.  Proceed by logging in with your MU ID and Password.  If you do not know your login information contact

How do I create a Starfish account?

The following link will provide you with all the information you need on Starfish:

How do I submit my AP scores?

Applicants who seek advanced placement because they have taken one or more of the Advanced Placement Examinations must have the examination results sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions prior to enrollment. Freshman and transfer students matriculating for fall semester who have earned a qualifying score may be granted credit (without grades). Advanced credit earned in this manner by entering freshmen and transfers will fulfill any University or departmental graduation requirement.

Current students’ official reports must be mailed to the Registrar’s Office. The examinee copy cannot be used to assign credit. Credit will not be assigned for exams that duplicate coursework previously completed.

Where are tutoring/ writing services provided?

Tutoring and Writing services are located in The Center for Teaching and Learning, in Rowley Hall 105.  Students can schedule appointments to meet with a tutor via Starfish.

What are University Requirements and The Liberal Arts Core?

All students who are pursuing a baccalaureate degree must complete the university and liberal arts core requirements consisting of 49 credits, 3 credits for DSC 101(or 1 credit for DSC 201). While there are a variety of courses from which to choose to satisfy the requirements, often specific courses are required for a given major. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that students meet with an academic adviser for clarification of requirements for their major

How can I add or drop/withdraw from a class?

Adding a Class
To add a course, you must secure and properly complete an “add” card available from your School office or from the Registrar's Office. Properly completed and approved cards, with required signatures, must be returned and processed by the student to the Office of the Registrar before the addition of the course is official.
You need to obtain the appropriate signatures on an Add/Drop Form before the Registrar’s Office will add/drop your classes.
Dropping/withdrawing from a class
Any withdrawal from a course must be officially recorded at the Office of the Registrar. A student who stops attending a course without taking the appropriate actions will receive a grade of F. Properly completed and approved “drop” cards must be returned by the student to the registrar in person before withdrawal from the course is official. You will be given a receipt as your proof that you did drop the course properly.

What is my Academic- level Status?

Academic-level status at Marymount is defined according to a student’s number of accumulated academic credits. The academic credits in which a student is currently enrolled are not counted in the accumulated total. Under this definition, students are classified as follows: freshman, 0 to 29 credits; sophomore, 30 to 59 credits; junior, 60 to 89 credits; senior, 90 or more credits.

How do I change my major/ declare a minor?

Requests for a change of academic program must be made in writing. Forms for this purpose may be obtained in School offices or your Academic Advisor. Only degree-seeking students may complete this form. A request for program change must be approved by the dean of the School housing the requested program. A nondegree student must reapply through the Office of Admissions to become a degree-seeking student.
Students who change their major must meet the requirements outlined in the University Catalog in effect at the time of the declaration of the new major. This policy also applies to students who were in undeclared status and then declare a major.