Directed Self-Placement (DSP)
The DSP, which includes an English portion and a Math portion, serves to help your advisor make the best possible recommendations for the English and Math courses you will take at Marymount. Please keep in mind this isn't a graded exam, rather a way to make sure you are placed in the appropriate courses.
Important items to know before you start:
- Use only Internet Explorer or Firefox as your web browser.
- You will need to complete the DSP before you are able to register for classes with your academic advisor.
- You will need use your Marymount ID and password to log in to the DSP. This is the same ID and password you use to log in to the Portal at my.marymount.edu. Please contact IT (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are having any issues setting up your Marymount ID and password.
- During the English portion of the DSP process you can stop and log back in later – the system will save your decisions. However, you will need to complete the Math portion in one sitting – the system does not save your answers until you finish and submit them.
- You will be asked to verify your major when you begin your DSP. If the major listed is not the one you want, you can change it on the DSP site.
- If you have any questions, please email email@example.com and we will assist you.
Steps to Complete the DSP:
The tabs at the top of the DSP page will show your progress in each area: Major, Reading, Writing, Mathematics, and Results
Step 1. Log into the English portion using your Marymount ID and password. You will need to answer several survey-type questions. A writing exercise is not required.
Step 2. Wait twenty-four hours after completing the English portion. Then, log into the Math portion using your Marymount ID and password. There will be up to approximately 40 math questions to answer.
Step 3. After completing the math portion, log back into the English portion to answer some final survey questions and receive your results.
Step 4. You are finished! Your first year academic advisor will contact you about registering for classes. Please allow advisors ample time to complete a meaningful class schedule for you.
After taking the DSP, your advisor will be able to register you for classes. You cannot register for Fall classes if you have not taken these placement assessments.
Please note: If you have dual enrollment credit, AP credit, or other college-level credit, you will still need to complete the DSP. Once Marymount receives your official transcripts, your schedule will be changed to reflect your prior college credit.