Directed Self-Placement (DSP)
The DSP, which includes an English portion and a Math portion, serves to help your advisor make the best possible recommendations for the English and Math courses you will take at Marymount. Please keep in mind this isn't a graded exam, rather a way to make sure you are placed in the appropriate courses.
Important items to know before you start:
- The DSP is required for all incoming freshmen, but is not required for transfer students.
- If you are an incoming freshman, you will need to complete the DSP before you are able to register for classes with your academic advisor.
- Use only Internet Explorer or Firefox as your web browser.
- You will log in to the DSP using your Marymount username (abc12345) and password. This is the same username and password you created when you generated your student account on Marymount's student account generator website. Please contact IT (firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-526-6990) if you are having any issues setting up your Marymount username and password.
- If you have any questions, please email email@example.com and we will assist you.
Steps to Complete the DSP:
Step 1. Log in and complete the English portion using your Marymount username and password.
Step 2. Wait twenty-four hours after completing the English portion. Then, log into the Math portion using your Marymount username and password. There will be 40 math questions to answer.
Step 3. You have completed the DSP! Within a couple business days, your academic advisor will send an email to your Marymount email address about creating your class schedule. Once you respond to that email, your advisor will work to create your schedule and register you for your first semester.
Please note: If you have dual enrollment credit, AP credit, or other college-level credit, you will still need to complete the DSP. Once Marymount receives your official transcripts, your schedule will be changed to reflect your prior college credit.