The Bachelor of Science in Heatlh Sciences, grounded in the Liberal Arts Core of the university, provides students resources for developing professional skills in exercise testing, physical activity leadership, health and fitness assessment, exercise programming, wellness coaching and public health and health promotion.
Graduates are prepared for beginning administrative, supervisory, and leadership positions in commercial and community health and athletic clubs, in corporate fitness and wellness programs, and for graduate study in health education, exercise science, occupational therapy, athletic training, chiropractic medicine, physical therapy and public health. In addition, qualified students may apply for an Accelerated B.S. to M.S. program in Health Education and Promotion.
Students will choose from three emphasis areas:
- Pre-Physical Therapy Track
- Pre-Professional Track
- Public Health Track
Students completing the baccalaureate degree in Marymount’s health sciences programs are prepared to apply for Exercise Physiologist or Personal Trainer certifications by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM).
Upon successful completion of the Health Sciences program, students will be able to
- demonstrate the knowledge required to function as competent entry-level professionals in the health/fitness industry;
- demonstrate competence in using equipment, industry tools/inventories, and/or other practical "hands-on" applications typically used in health and wellness settings and/or clinical settings;
- demonstrate the ability to effectively educate and/or counsel individuals regarding behavior modification for the promotion of health and wellness;
- apply ethical standards to the conduct of health and wellness programs; and
- evaluate information to address the health needs/concerns of individuals or groups.