Thank you for your interest in the DPT Program. The PTCAS 2017-2018 application cycle for entry in Fall 2018 is open!
The Physical Therapy Program is a three-year, full-time program. Entry into the program is in the fall semester only. Class size is limited to 38 students.
Marymount University participates in the Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service (PTCAS), offered through the American Physical Therapy Association. With this system, one central application is completed. Materials are then forwarded to all programs to which the individual applied through PTCAS. The PTCAS website (www.ptcas.org) provides further information and instructions about the application process.
Visit our PTCAS Program page for program information and requirements and application deadlines.
The deadline to submit a completed application is November 1, 2017.
Important Dates and Deadlines
2017-18 Application Cycle is now open
- November 1, 2017: Deadline to submit a completed application
- Saturday, December 2, 2017: Interview Day (by invitation only)
Admission Requirements and Eligibility
In order to be considered for admission, applicants need
- a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university prior to entry into the Physical Therapy Program;
- a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA for all college and university coursework;
- a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA for all prerequisite science coursework;
- completion of all prerequisite coursework within the last 7 years
- no more than one (1) prerequisite course can have a course grade of C or C+. All other prerequisite courses must have grades of B- or better.
- up to 12 credits of prerequisite coursework may remain incomplete at the time of application to the program; any remaining prerequisite coursework must be completed with a course grade of B- or better before entering the DPT program.
- completion of forty (40) hours of observation or volunteer service work in a physical therapy clinical setting, verified by a physical therapist from the clinical setting by the time of application deadline. (These hours may be completed at more than one clinical facility.)
- scores for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken within the last five (5) years
A complete application, submitted by the deadline, November 1, 2017
, includes: (Application materials are available on the PTCAS website)
- the PTCAS application form;
- a $30 supplemental fee paid directly to Marymount's Office of Graduate Admissions;
- an essay, as described in the application packet;
- official transcripts for all college and university coursework;
- verification of completion of 40 hours of clinical observation or work in a physical therapy setting under the supervision of a licensed physical therapist by the time of application;
- two letters of recommendation (using the form provided by PTCAS) from faculty, academic advisors, physical therapists, or employers addressing the applicant’s ability, motivation, and interest in pursuing graduate studies in physical therapy; and
- official scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
The Physical Therapy Program’s Admissions Committee reviews all applications. Initial evaluation of applicants includes assessment of overall GPA, prerequisite science GPA, GRE scores, applicant’s written statement, community activities, and recommendations.
Special consideration is given to current Marymount students who have completed at least two full-time semesters at Marymount prior to applying, Marymount University graduates, and persons from minority groups that are underrepresented in the profession.
Applicants are selected based upon their qualifications and potential to contribute to the profession and their community, and who represent a broad diversity of backgrounds.
After the initial review of applicants’ preliminary materials, all individuals being considered for admission are invited to participate in a Department of Physical Therapy interview. Interview Day consists of a personal interview, group activity, and facility tour.
Admission decisions are announced to applicants within 30 days following their scheduled interview. All accepted students must confirm acceptance within two weeks of notification.
Please note: Marymount's DPT Program does not accept students seeking to transfer.