Admission Information & Requirements
Degree and certificate program applicants must
- submit a completed application with $40 nonrefundable application fee
- provide evidence of having earned a Nursing degree from an accredited college or university. M.S.N. applicants must hold a B.S.N. with a minimum GPA of 3.0; certificate applicants must hold an M.S.N. with a minimum GPA of 3.3.
- hold RN licensure in Virginia. Family Nurse Practitioner students are required to have licensure in Maryland or compact state and the District of Columbia prior to placement in clinical courses.
- have two years of full-time professional nursing experience or the equivalent before beginning practicum courses
- provide two letters of recommendation, at least one from a direct supervisor within the past two years and the other from an employer or professor who can attest to the applicant’s potential for graduate work
- provide a copy of APN certification, as applicable
- professor who can attest to the applicant’s potential for graduate work
- submit a 250- to 400-word professional essay indicating the applicant’s motivation for seeking the degree and postgraduate plans, sent by mail or email to the Graduate Enrollment Services.
M.S.N. and Certificate Program Application Deadlines
Fall/Summer enrollment: deadline – July 14
Spring enrollment: deadline – November 1 - Full-time student enrollment ONLY.
Applications completed before the deadline will be reviewed by the appropriate Nursing faculty and applicants will be notified if they have been selected for an interview.
Application can be completed here.
Graduate Nursing applicants must also meet the following clinical requirements before entering each practicum course:
- provide written verification of PPD testing for tuberculosis (required annually). If PPD is positive, an initial chest X-ray is required
- provide written verification of CPR certification from the American Heart Association (BLS for Healthcare Provider) or the American Red Cross (Professional Rescuer)
- show evidence of health insurance coverage
- submit documentation of liability/malpractice insurance
- undergo a criminal background check, which is a federal requirement for all persons working with vulnerable populations
- additional requirements as stated by specific health care agencies.
Residency Requirements for Certificate Students:
Certificate-seeking students must complete two-thirds of the required credits at Marymount University.