Admissions and Aid
News and Events
> Presentations Archive
Recently, office staff have given multiple presentations dealing with a variety of research and assessment topics which may be useful in understanding fundamental concepts.
June 2010, AIR 2010- Why Won't Students Respond? Characteristics That Influence Students to Answer Surveys
- Utilizes logistical regression analysis to determine which student characteristics are able to predict response to none, some, or all online surveys in the study. This study was presented in the 2010 Association for Institutional Research Conference.
June 2010, AIR 2010- Benefits of the Student Job: The Relationship Between On-Campus Employment and Student Retention
- Examines the relationship of students being employed through campus employment and their retention rates. This study was presented in the 2010 Association for Institutional Research Conference.
April 2010, VAMAP 2010- Assessing Core Competencies: Improving With Each Change in the Process
- A discussion regarding the changes in the process of assessing core competencies and results of those changes.
December 2009, Research Brief: Nonresponse Bias in Online Course Evaluations
- A study that examines online course evaluation data at Marymount for potential sources of nonresponse bias using results from face to face courses that occurred in Spring 2009.
December 2009, SACS 2009: Laying the Foundation for Success: Piloting, Assessing, and Improving the QEP
- A presentation on assessing and improving Marymount's QEP, the Discover program.
October 2009, A Snapshot of Marymount's First Generation Students
- Compares Fall 2008 first-generation students with non-first generation students. Gender, race/ethnicity, enrollment status, residency, market distribution, and financial aid matters are compared between the two groups.
October 2009, Advising Students: What Do They Really Want?
- Utilizes the 2008-09 Advising Survey Report to determine which factors of advising students find important and are satisfied with. Comparisons are made between undergraduate and graduate students as well as first-college and transfer students.
October 2009, Using the NSSE to Understand Transfer and MU Only Students
- Uses data from the National Survey of Student Engagement to compare lifestyle differences between first-college and transfer studetnts. These differences have significant impact on each group's MU experience.
August 2009, Marymount's Core Competencies: Comparing First College and Transfer Students
- A discussion of the implications of three core competencies, critical reasoning, information literacy, and written communication, on first college and transfer students.
May 2009, Tuition Discounting as an Investment in Future Alumni Giving
- Examines the relationship between receiving grants and scholarships as part of an institution's tuition discounting strategy and future willingness to support the institution as alumni. This study was presented in the 2009 Association for Institutional Research Conference.
November 2008, An Overview of Retention at Marymount University
- An in-depth analysis of current retention trends regarding first college, new transfer, and new graduate students.
October 2008, Rethinking the Alumni Survey
- Presents the process used to strengthen the Alumni Survey. In addition, it explains the use of the Alumni Survey in supporting Marymount's Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP).
September 2008, 2006-07 Graduating Student Survey
- Highlights results from an annual survey administered to graduating students. It further analyzes the question "If I Could Start All Over, Would I Choose Marymount Again?"
March 2008 Retention Committee Marymount Advising Effectiveness
- An examination of the three-year trends in advising students.
December 2007 Retention Committee
- examining differences between retained and non-retained student responses to NSSE survey questions.
October 2007 Virginia Association for Management, Analysis and Planning Conference
- explains the development and implementation of the MU Student Satisfaction Survey.
November 2006 Retention Committee
- examining residency status and retention.
October 2006 Retention Committee
- an overview of the NSSE survey and its value to the MU community.
February 2005 Retention Committee
- an analysis of NSSE data exploring the relationship between student engagement and retention.
If you need additional information, please contact the
Office of Institutional Effectiveness
2807 North Glebe Road | Arlington, Virginia 22207 | (703) 522-5600 | © 2011 Marymount University