Home >  News and Events >  News Details  

News and Events

Fourth Quarter Rally Lifts Va. Wesleyan Over Men’s Lacrosse

Sunday, March 13, 2011
Alexandria, Va. – Marymount University’s men’s lacrosse team fell 9-7 to visiting Virginia Wesleyan in non-conference action on Sunday afternoon. The Saints took a one goal lead into the fourth quarter before the Marlins scored three unanswered goals in the frame to steal the victory.

Freshman Connor Kellogg led the Saints (1-5) with three goals while senior Jeff Cook added two goals and an assists. Junior Drew Phillips and senior Andrew Gaston also scored for Marymount while senior Tom Anderson, freshman Vince Lodato and junior Mike Smith each chipped in assists.

Senior Defenseman Robby Woycik led the Saints with six ground balls while fellow senior Jake Farrow caused a team-high five Marlins turnovers. Woycik added three on the defensive end. Smith recorded five ground balls off the bench while Cook and senior Chris Wascak both had four.

In goal, junior Ross Fernandez hauled in 13 saves in the loss.

Marymount jumped on the board almost immediately to start the game. Winning the opening faceoff, Lodato picked up the ground ball and found Kellogg in front of the net for the quick score. The Saints would add another scored just over a minute later as Cook whipped a hard shot past the VWC (3-3) keeper.

Both squads would trade goals over the 15 minutes to go in the break with the Saints leading 4-3.

Coming out of halftime, the Marlins struck twice in the opening minute of the stanza. Adam Nycz logged a pair of goals to take a 5-4 before the Marlins added another goal five minutes later to go up 6-4.

The Saints would respond, scoring three unanswered of their own to retake the lead up 7-6. Gaston kicked off the run by collecting a ground ball off of a save from the VWC keeper and sending the rebound shot home. Kellogg then nailed a pair of goals over the next three minutes with the help of Cook and Smith.

In the fourth, Virginia Wesleyan would hold the Saints scoreless and log three goals of its own to draw even and eventually put the game away.

Marymount returns to action on Wednesday as it travels to take on Gwynedd-Mercy.