Home >  News and Events >  News Details  

News and Events

Women's Lacrosse Falls to York, 8-7

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

It was a tale of two halves, with the Saints controlling the opening period, but the visitors from York College, taking advantage in the second period and winning the Capital Athletic Conference game, 8-7. This was the final regular season game for Marymont and was senior night, honoring seven players competing for the last time at home.

After York's Leah Schultz scored the first goal of the game at the 28:40 mark, Marymount tallied the next five goals of the half. Lindsay Quinn tied the game at the 25:46 mark and then Shantelle Valdez gave the Saints the lead four minutes later. Two straight goals by Stephanie Flood within four minutes gave MU at 4-1 lead with 17:26 to go in the half. Susan Jung completed the scoring in the period when she connected with 3:43 to go.

But the Spartans came out in the second period fired up and scored the first two goals to cut the lead to 5-3 in less than four minutes. Valdez put the Saints back up by three goals at 6-3 with 24:36 remaining in the contest.

Schultz made it 6-4 a minute later and then Sara Horne made it 7-3 with 19:35 remaining. From there the Spartan defense shut down the Saints and York scored four unanswered goals, with the final three goals scored by Meg Foy including the game-winner with 4:47 to go in the game.

York won the ensuing draw control and was able to run out the clock to preserve the win. The Spartans were led by Foy with four goals while Schultz had three goals. York improved to 10-5, 3-4.

MU had two players with two goals each -- Stephanie Flood and Shantelle Valdez. Ashley Dodge recorded 11 saves in goal. The Saints fell to 3-10, 2-5.

Marymount finished its regular season in sixth place and will face St. Mary's at 1 pm in the quarterfinals of the CAC tournament on Saturday.

MU honored its seven seniors in a pre-game ceremony. Kathleen Brown, Ashley Dodge, Sara Horne, Wendy Lopez, Aimee Michels and Shantelle Valdez all started the game. The other senior, Maria Eiden, was injured and could not play in the game.