Transfer Admissions

Transferring College Credit

Marymount University generally accepts credits for courses completed with a grade of C or higher at other regionally accredited institutions of higher education. Marymount will accept a maximum of 64 credit hours from freshman- and sophomore-level courses and an additional 20 credit hours from junior- or senior-level courses. Marymount University has a 36 credit residency requirement, meaning no student may apply more than 84 hours of transfer credit toward a degree. For more details on our current transfer policies, see the Marymount University Undergraduate Catalog.

Articulation Agreements
Marymount has articulation agreements with Northern Virginia Community College and Montgomery College in Maryland to aid students who wish to transfer. These agreements spell out the Marymount course equivalencies for classes offered at these community colleges.

Students transferring from any other Virginia community college can use the Transfer Tool on the State Council for Higher Education in Virginia’s Web site to determine Marymount course equivalencies for their general education classes.

Credit by Examination
Transfer students may apply up to 30 hours of credit earned by examination to the 84-hour transfer credit maximum. Marymount will accept credit earned through College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and Advanced Placement (AP), and DANTES Program examinations. You can learn more about receiving credit by examination from the Office of the Registrar.