Study Abroad - Opening minds to a world of opportunity


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is study abroad?
Study Abroad is the term applied to the participation of a university student in a structured, credit-granting program of academic study in a foreign country for a summer, a semester, or an academic year that is sponsored either by an accredited U.S. university, or by a foreign university that is recognized in its country.

Q: Who studies abroad?
Full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate students with any major may study abroad and earn academic credit that can be applied toward Marymount’s course of study.
Marymount also offers short-term programs for graduate students.

Q: Where would I go?
Study Abroad programs are offered almost anywhere in the world, except in active war zones or other locations that are determined to be unstable or unsuitable for some reason.

Students of some majors should review the Program Considerations page when looking at where and when to go abroad.

Q: When would I go?
A: You should explore the opportunities for study abroad during your first two years and plan your Marymount coursework to permit you to study abroad in your 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th semester (second semester sophomores, juniors, and first-semester seniors). If you are planning to complete your internship requirements abroad, please verify with your academic advisor whether you have the necessary number of academic credits required by your department before applying for your internship.

Students of some majors should review the Program Considerations page when looking at where and when to go abroad.

Graduate students should consult with the Center for Global Education about appropriate opportunities.

Q: How will study abroad really help me?
A: Thousands of students who study abroad come back from their experience and say, “It was a life-changing experience.” You learn to become more self-confident and self-reliant, and will see the world from a different perspective. More and more prospective employers are looking for future employees who have a global view and broader understanding of the complex world in which we live.

Studying abroad opens new avenues of learning in any academic subject, presents a new cultural view, offers the opportunity to develop fluency in another language, and provides the experience of living in a totally different environment.

Q: How will I pay for it?
A: MU-sponsored and/or approved programs generally follow the cost of Marymount tuition and fees; programs sponsored by other universities have their own charges. Federal financial aid can be used for study abroad. Loans, some scholarships, and grant programs are available for application. Marymount University scholarships may be used only for MU-approved programs.

Q: Is there a minimum GPA for study abroad?
Marymount requires that undergraduate students who wish to study abroad for a semester or academic year have a minimum GPA of 2.75. Many programs, however, require that students have a 3.0 minimum and can have fairly competitive applicant pools.

Graduate students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0.

Q: Will I get credit for it?

A: Students who participate in a program for which an official transcript from an accredited U.S. university is issued, or in a program at a foreign university that offers official documentation comparable to a transcript, will receive transfer credit from MU. Students who participate in the MU Semester/Summer London Program, the MU Paris Fashion Program, as well as Marymount faculty-led programs receive direct Marymount University academic credit.

Q: Do I have to speak another language to study abroad?
No. The opportunities for year, semester, or summer study are diverse enough to meet the needs of virtually any student’s course of study. Study abroad is not limited to those with knowledge of foreign languages; Marymount sponsors and has identified programs providing language training as well as programs taught in English in many countries. If you enroll in a semester-long study abroad program in a non-English speaking country, you are required to take one language course in the host country language.

Q: What if I have a disability and need special accommodations or have other related concerns?
A: Students who are receiving academic accommodations at Marymount should be aware that a program in a foreign country may or may not provide the same accommodations. Discuss your current accommodations with the staff in the Center for Global Education so they can help to determine whether the program(s) you are interested in will provide the accommodations you have at Marymount. Before you leave, meet with the director of Disability Support Services who can provide you with a statement of approved accommodations that would be granted at Marymount during the time you will be in the foreign county.