Home >  Academics >  Registrar >  Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)  


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Transfer credits



Registering for classes, adding or dropping/withdrawing classes, Consortium registration, temporarily discontinuing studies (Continuous Registration), enrolling as a nondegree or visiting student

How do I register for classes?
First, you must meet with or consult your advisor during the designated advising time period. Once that is done, you can register online using Marynet. If you have problems, contact Information Technology Services (ITS) at (703) 526-6990 or its@marymount.edu.

What if I have a restriction (hold) on my account? How do I take care of it?
Any time that you have a financial obligation with Marymount University other than tuition for the upcoming semester, you will have a restriction placed on your account. You also may have a restriction placed on your record because of a disciplinary action, a matter concerning a study abroad program, or some other program requirement. These restrictions will prevent you from registering for classes or adding/dropping classes.

If you do have a restriction, contact the office that placed the restriction on your record, using the restriction code to indicate the appropriate office. Only that office can remove the restriction from your record.

Restriction Office Telephone # & Location
AC Academic Affairs
Rowley Academic Center
AD Admissions
Butler Hall
BA School of Business Administration
Ballston, 3rd floor
BK Bookstore
Lee Center
CO/C8 Student Accounts - Collections Hold
Rowley Hall
DA Dean of Admissions
Butler Hall
FA Financial Aid
Rowley Academic Center
F1 Foreign Student Documents
International Student Services, Gerard Hall
HI Health Insurance
Student Health center, Berg Hall
LB Library
Reinsch Library
LD Telephone Services
Berg Hall
LP London Program (Study Abroad)
Ballston Center
MD Student Health Service - Medical Documentation Hold
Berg Hall
MR Student Health Service - Medical Documentation Hold
Berg Hall
P2 Campus Safety - Parking
Ireton Hall
RG Registrar
Rowley Academic Center
RL Residence Life
Berg Hall
SA Student Accounts
Rowley Academic Center
SL Student Accounts - Loans Hold
Rowley Academic Center
SS Student Services
Gerard Phelan Hall
TE Telephone Services
Berg Hall

How can I add or drop/withdraw from a class?

Adding a Class
To add a course, you must secure and properly complete an “add” card available from your School office or from the Registrar's Office. Properly completed and approved cards, with required signatures, must be returned and processed by the student to the Office of the Registrar before the addition of the course is official.

You need to obtain the appropriate signatures on an Add/Drop Form before the Registrar’s Office will add/drop your classes.

Dropping/withdrawing from a class
Any withdrawal from a course must be officially recorded at the Office of the Registrar. A student who stops attending a course without taking the appropriate actions will receive a grade of F. Properly completed and approved “drop” cards must be returned by the student to the registrar in person before withdrawal from the course is official. You will be given a receipt as your proof that you did drop the course properly.

Also note that you will owe tuition for any course that you do not drop by the deadline regardless of whether or not you attend that course.

Action Required Signatures

Advisor Professor(s) Assoc. Dean or Dean Associate VPAA
Adding a Class with an Advisor Hold X - - -
Adding a Closed Class - X X -
Authorizing a Credit Overload X - X -
Adding a Class Outside Academic Level X - X -
Authorizing a Repeat Class X - X -
Resolving a Time Conflict -
(from both classes)
(from student's school)
Waiving a Prerequisite X X X -
Adding a Class After the Last Day to Add X X X -
Withdrawing From a Class After the Last Day to Withdraw X - X X

I have an unforseen circumstance which requires me to withdraw from all of my classes after the last day to withdraw with a W. What should I do?
The University has a policy for requesting consideration for and exception to academic policies. Reasons for such requests may include, but are not limited to:

  • Withdrawing from all classes after the last date to withdraw from a course, due to medical or non-medical reason.
  • Receiving a refund (full or partial) for a dropped course after the last date that refunds are granted.
  • Receiving a medical withdrawal from some classes (with or without refunds) while remaining in others.
  • Receiving an Incomplete in some classes (due to medical circumstances) while withdrawing from others (with or without refund).
  • Converting an Incomplete from a course in a previous semester to a Withdrawal

How do I enroll in a class through the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area?
Eligible students from Marymount may take approved courses at member institutions through cross-registration. Learn more.
What if I intend to temporarily discontinue studies and sit out for a semester, but maintain my status as a Marymount student? How do I do that?
Students are expected to maintain Continuous Registration until all program requirements are satisfied. Continuous Registration may be maintained for a maximum of two consecutive semesters (not including the summer semester).

Any student who wishes to maintain Continuous Registration must register for CR 999 and will be charged a per-semester fee payable during the regularly scheduled registration dates. Continuous registration requires the student’s signature and may be conducted by mail, fax, or in person.

You will have to register for a Continuous Registration course section by your academic level and your program type:

Academic Level and Program Course Section
Undergraduate student CR-999U-U
Graduate student CR-999G-G

By failing to register for one semester or more (not including the summer semester), a student breaks registration and must reapply. The student will be bound to the program requirements stated in the University Catalog in effect at the time of the student's re-enrollment.

Degree candidates, who are completing degree requirements but do not have additional credit coursework, also must maintain Continuous Registration until all degree requirements are satisfied.

If you take classes at an outside institution while you are on Continuous Registration at Marymount, you must receive written permission from your advisor and dean to transfer those credits to this University. You must complete a Course Substitution Form and have the advisor and dean sign it to show that your request was approved. Once you receive your grades, you should have an official transcript sent to the Registrar's Office.

NOTE: For international students studying on the F1 visa status, Continuous Registration does NOT meet U.S. immigration regulations that require you to remain at full-time enrollment (12 hours for undergraduate and 9 hours for graduate) status. If you enroll for Continuous Registration, you must have prior approval from the Foreign Student Advisor. If you do not have this approval, you will fail to maintain your F1 status.

How do I change my program or major?
Undergraduates who wish to change their program of study or major can review the University policy and procedure here.

Graduate students who wish to change their program of study should review the policy and procedure here.

I want to take just one or two classes at Marymount but not earn a degree or certificate. Or I’m visiting from another school to take a class during a break period. How do I enroll as a nondegree student?
Undergraduate students can learn more about nondegree enrollment here. Graduate nondegree students can find out more here.

Liberal Arts Core and University Requirements
How do I know which classes fulfill Liberal Arts Core and University requirements?
When planning your schedule with your advisor, please use this list to determine classes that fulfill the Liberal Arts Core and University requirements. The University's Undergraduate Catalog also provides a current list of requirements; notations of designations can be found in the Course Description section as well.

How do I get them? What do they mean? How are they calculated?

How do I get my grades?
Login to Marynet to view your grades.

What is a cumulative grade point average and how is it calculated?
The cumulative grade point average is determined by dividing the number of quality points a student has earned by the number of measurable credits of work. Quality points per credit are shown in the following chart (Graduate courses are graded A through C or F):

Grade Quality Points
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
F 0.0

Can you explain what my letter grades mean?
An explanation of undergraduate grades can be found here. Graduate student grades are explained here.

Policies and Procedures
Academic Integrity Policy; Academic Standing: Probation, Suspension, Dismissal; FERPA; more…

What is the Academic Integrity Policy?
You can read the entire policy here.

How will my academic progress be monitored?
Undergraduate students should review the Undergraduate Catalog for the explanation of academic standing.

Graduate students should review the Graduate Catalog for the policy on probation, suspension, and dismissal.

What is FERPA?
FERPA stands for Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. It affords you, as a student, certain rights with regard to your education records. A complete description can be found in the Student Handbook.

If I have a complaint, either academic or nonacademic in nature, what do I do?
A student who has a complaint or grievance should bring it forward promptly for resolution.

If the matter concerns a final grade for a course, a student should attempt to resolve it informally in discussions with the instructor of record. A final grade is reviewed only when there is a question whether the grade was calculated in accordance with the requirements and grading procedures stated in the course syllabus. A complaint that is not resolved informally between a student and an instructor should be referred first to the appropriate department chairperson and, if still unresolved, to the School dean. The decision of the School dean is final. Problems involving course grades must be brought forward within 45 days of the end of the semester in which the grade was earned.

A student who has an academic grievance other than a grade should attempt to resolve it informally in discussions with the appropriate instructor, faculty member, or his/her advisor. A complaint that is not resolved informally between a student and a faculty member is to be referred to the appropriate department chairperson. If not resolved, the complaint may be taken to the School dean. If the student is still not satisfied,he or she may bring the concern in writing to the associate vice president for Academic Affairs. Appeals of the decision made by the associate vice president for Academic Affairs may be brought to the provost and vice president for Academic Affairs. The decision of the provost and vice president for Academic Affairs regarding the issue or issues of concern is final. For consideration, a student should bring forward a complaint or problem no later than 45 days from the end of the semester in which the concern occurred.

Nonacademic complaints should be addressed to the department or office in which the problem originated. Complaints not resolved at this level may be referred to the supervisor for that office. If the student is not satisfied with the resolution of the problem by the supervisor, he or she may refer the concern to the office of the vice president who supervises the area in which the complaint originated. The decision of the vice president for that area regarding the issue or issues of concern is final. This policy applies to oral and written complaints.

I need a replacement diploma. Can I get it replaced?
A replacement diploma in the name of the student as it appeared at the original time of issue will be provided upon written request by the student, return of the damaged diploma if possible, and payment of a replacement fee. The replacement will include appropriate dates, signatures, and notations where possible.

Voter Registration
Need to register to vote in your home state? Marymount University’s Office of the Registrar can facilitate the process.

The Voter Registration mandate of the 1998 reauthorization of the Higher Education Act {section 487(a)(20) U.S.C. 1094(a)} requires institutions to distribute mail voter registration forms to students enrolled in a degree or certificate program and physically in attendance at the institution in years when there are elections for federal office or for a home state’s governor.

In keeping with this mandate, Marymount University has facilitated access to the national voter registration form, as well as links to regional state elections offices.

Please access the National Mail Voter Registration Form for more information and to register.

You can also get information about voter registration or races in your state or the District of Columbia here.
1. You may mail your completed voter registration application to the Elections Board in the state in which you maintain your permanent home, or

2. You may bring your application to the Registrar's Office in Rowley Academic Center no later than two weeks before the deadline for registration in your state.

Regional Links

Additional questions can be directed to the Office of the Registrar.