Where in the world would you like to teach? Did you know Marymount students can complete their student teaching in places like Australia or New Zealand? Dr. Douglas Ball, MU associate professor of Education, observed a number of classrooms and schools in New Zealand this summer. READ HIS BLOG
ABOUT MU's PROGRAM
So you’d like to be a teacher? Marymount offers one of the leading teacher-education programs in the greater Washington, DC, area. MU’s undergraduate education programs are unique in the Northern Virginia area.
All education programs are designed to prepare graduates to enter the job market as beginning professionals in their respective disciplines. Marymount alumni teach in public, private, Catholic, and independent schools.
In order to become a teacher, the Commonwealth of Virginia expects you to become an expert in the subject matter you will be teaching. So, you need to choose a major for the discipline or population you’d like to teach, then supplement that coursework with classes to earn teaching licensure. Marymount offers undergraduate teaching licensure for elementary (grades prekindergarten-6) and secondary (grades 6-12) levels.
As a student in any of the following programs, you will complete a prescribed program of studies that both fulfills the requirements of the major and leads to teaching licensure:
- Art, teaching grades K-12 with a major in Art
- Biology, teaching grades 6-12, with a major in Biology
- Elementary Education, teaching grades PK-6, with a major in Multidisciplinary Studies
- English, teaching grades 6-12, with a major in English
- History and Social Science, teaching grades 6-12, with a major in History
- Mathematics, teaching grades 6-12, with a major in Mathematics
- Special Education, General Curriculum, teaching special education students in grades K-12, with a major in Multidisciplinary Studies
Marymount’s teacher preparation programs are accredited by the Division of Teacher Education and Certification of the Virginia Department of Education and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).