Pre-Arrival Immigration Information
Prior to your arrival in the United States you will need to apply for a visa and pay the $200 SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) fee. More information about SEVIS can be found at Immigration and Legal Responsibilities.
You must pay the fee before applying for your visa. Here are the steps you should follow:
SEVIS Fee Requirements for F-1 Students
Pay Online (recommended)
- Find the Form I-901 at www.FMJfee.com
- Complete the form online. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your form I-20. Marymount’s school code is WAS 214F00223000. Your SEVIS identification number is the number that begins with the letter “N” located on the top right corner of your form I-20 right above the bar code. Supply the necessary Visa, MasterCard, or American Express information.
- Print a copy of the online receipt.
- Be sure to make a copy of your receipt and keep it with your other important immigration documents.
Pay by Mail
- Obtain a Form I-901 “Fee Remittance for Certain F, J, and M Nonimmigrants.” You can download the form from www.FMJfee.com or request it by phone at 1(800) 870-3676 (inside the U.S.)
- Complete the Form I-901. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your form I-20.
- Marymount’s school code is WAS 214F00223000. Your SEVIS identification number is the number that begins with the letter “N” located on the top right corner of your form I-20 right above the bar code.
- Prepare a check, international money order, or foreign draft (drawn on U.S. banks only) in U.S. dollars, made payable to “The Department of Homeland Security.”
- Mail the completed I-901 and payment to the address listed on Form I-901.
- A Form I-797 receipt notice should be mailed to you within three (3) days of processing the fee. Be sure to make a copy of your receipt and keep it with your other important immigration documents.
Please read carefully the restrictions and responsibilities on page 2 of the I-20.
To obtain an F-1 student visa, you must contact your nearest U.S. Consulate office to make an appointment and inquire about an F-1 student visa, procedures, and processing time. Be prepared to present at least the following documents:
- Form I-20
- Letter of admission
- Financial Certification (for example: scholarship awards, bank statements)
- SEVIS fee receipt
- Evidence to prove intent to return to your home country upon completion of studies
At the U.S. port of entry (airport or border) you must present
- Passport with an F-1 visa stamp
- Form I-20
- Supporting documents (given to you by Marymount or the U.S. Consulate)
You will receive
You are strongly urged to refrain from entering the United States on a tourist (B-2) visa unless it is stamped “Prospective Student.” Otherwise, it will be difficult to change to an F-1 visa once you enter the U.S.