Marymount University

Graduate Catalog 2013-14

Academic Information and Policies

Academic Integrity Policy

Academic integrity is founded upon and encompasses the values of honesty, trust, fairness, respect, and responsibility. Supporting and affirming these values is essential to promoting and maintaining a high level of academic integrity, and educating community members about the value and practice of academic integrity is central to Marymount University’s mission. Each member of the academic community must stand accountable for his or her actions. As a result, a community develops in which students learn the responsibilities of citizenship and how to contribute honorably to their professions.

If knowledge is to be gained and properly evaluated, it must be pursued under conditions free from dishonesty. Deceit and misrepresentations are incompatible with the fundamental activity of this academic institution and shall not be tolerated. Members of the Marymount community are expected to foster in their own work the spirit of academic honesty and not to tolerate its abuse by others.

First responsibility for academic integrity lies with individual students and faculty members of this community. A violation of academic integrity is an act harmful to all other students, faculty and, ultimately, the university.

The Marymount University Academic Integrity Policy governs all student conduct directly related to the academic life of the institution and is in effect during all phases of a student’s academic career. The policy is applicable to any academically related experience involving Marymount University students whether occurring on the campus, in a distance-learning situation, or at host institutions or sites. Violations of this policy include cheating, plagiarism, misuse of academic resources, falsification of information or citations, and facilitating the academic dishonesty of others.

When a violation of academic integrity is suspected, students and faculty are encouraged to meet to determine an appropriate course of action. Penalties for first violations vary with the severity of the offense and may be assigned by the faculty member involved or through an academic integrity hearing process. Second violations require a penalty of suspension or expulsion, and must involve an academic integrity hearing. All alleged violations of the policy must be resolved in accordance with the Academic Integrity Policy and under the direct authority of a Marymount University faculty member or the Academic Integrity coordinator.

The complete Academic Integrity Policy provides detailed information on the nature of academic integrity violations, possible penalties, the adjudication process, and student rights and responsibilities under the policy. A summary of the policy can be found in the Marymount University Student Handbook; the complete policy is available on Marymount's website on the Current Students page. The Student Handbook is available through the Office of Student Development, the Registrar’s Office, and the Center for Teaching and Learning.


The university provides new students with an Orientation program to prepare them academically for their Marymount experience. Each school or department offers an orientation program for its students to acquaint them with their program of study.

More information about Marymount orientation programs can be found online,

Academic Year

Marymount University operates on a semester system. The two terms of the regular academic year are known as the fall semester and the spring semester. The summer term is known as the summer semester, with courses taught in segments identified as sessions. Graduate students use the summer semester to continue steady progress toward the completion of their degree programs. For dates, consult the Academic Calendar on page 4 or see the latest academic date and calendar information on the Registrar's Office web pages at


Registration periods for students are posted on the Registrar’s web pages at

The student is expected to seek the academic guidance of a faculty advisor in developing a schedule of classes. No credit will be granted for any course, including independent study, unless registration is completed prior to the start of a semester. Responsibility rests with the student to register for the necessary courses in the proper sequence to meet the requirements of the chosen curriculum.

All prescribed charges for the previous semester must be paid before registration may begin. All charges for the ensuing semester must be paid, or provided for, before registration is complete. No student whose account is in arrears will be permitted to register until all obligations are met. This includes submission of medical records (when necessary), payment of parking fees, and payment of library fines.

Students are responsible for maintaining a current U.S. address on file with the university. Students should advise the Registrar’s Office of any address changes. (See Address Changes.)

Course Load

A course load of 9 credits per semester is considered full time for graduate students. Registration for more than 12 credits requires permission from the student’s advisor, the associate dean, and the associate vice president for academic affairs. Students in the Doctor of Physical Therapy program will occasionally be enrolled in up to 18 credits.

Late Registration and Add/Withdrawal Period

During the first nine days of the fall or spring semester, unregistered students, including newly admitted students, may enroll in or add classes. During a summer session, a student must add before the second class meeting. Classes may not be added after the Late Registration and Add/Withdrawal period has ended.

Adding or Withdrawing from Courses/Separating from the University

Students can add or withdraw from courses online or in person up to the date specified in the Academic Calendar.

To withdraw from a class or classes, a student should complete an Add/Drop form at the Registrar’s Office or access his or her class schedule via Marynet.

To withdraw from all classes in a semester and maintain matriculation for the next semester, a student should complete a Continuous Registration form available at the Registrar's Office. The last date to move from enrollment to Continuous Registration is the same date as the last day to withdraw from classes as listed in the Academic Calendar. The date on which either form is received at the Registrar’s Office becomes the official date of withdrawal.

Any graduate student contemplating discontinuing studies for more than one semester or leaving the university should consult with the academic advisor or program chair to understand the impact of an interruption of study upon the degree plan. When students have decided to separate, they must obtain an official "Request for Separation from the University" form available at the Center for Teaching and Learning. The date of submission of the Request for Separation form is the official date that determines the student’s financial responsibility to the university. Any tuition refund or credit will be calculated based on the withdrawal/separation date recorded by the Registrar’s Office. The last date to file a request for separation is the last day of classes as indicated by the Academic Calendar.

Students who stop attending courses without officially withdrawing from the course or separating from the university will receive an F.

Continuous Registration

All degree candidates must maintain active status at the university until all requirements are satisfied. Typically, students do so by enrolling in classes each semester. However, a student who intends to temporarily discontinue studies and not enroll for a semester must enroll in Continuous Registration. Continuous Registration may be maintained for a maximum of two consecutive semesters, not including the summer semester.

The date of enrollment in Continuous Registration is the official date to determine the student’s financial responsibility to the university. For a student who has not enrolled in the current semester, the last date to file Continuous Registration is the last day to withdraw from classes.

If a student does not register for Continuous Registration, the student breaks registration and must reapply for admission to the university. A nondegree student who discontinues studies for one semester or more must reapply for admission to the university.

Students Enrolling at Consortium Institutions

All Marymount degree-seeking students in good academic standing are eligible to enroll in courses offered through the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area. See Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area for participating institutions and programs. Nondegree students are not eligible.

Degree-seeking students may enroll under the following conditions:

  • The course must be recommended by the student’s advisor and approved by the student’s program or department chair prior to enrollment.
  • The course may not be offered concurrently at Marymount.
  • A maximum of two courses may be counted for credit toward Marymount degree requirements.
  • Students may not enroll in consortium classes in the semester immediately preceding their anticipated graduation.

Enrollment at Marymount does not guarantee enrollment at a visited school.

Students enrolled in consortium courses follow the registration, withdrawal, and grading policies of their home institution.

Consortium courses fulfill the minimum-credits requirement for residency.

Registering for Consortium Classes

For consortium class registration procedures and deadlines, please visit the Registrar’s Office web pages at and review the Frequently Asked Questions link.

A completed Consortium Registration Form must be received by Marymount’s Registrar’s Office at least one week prior to the start of the Marymount semester.

Visiting Consortium Students

Consortium students visiting Marymount must check in with the consortium coordinator in the Registrar’s Office. A completed permission slip must be presented. Visiting consortium students are not eligible for Marymount internships, clinical nursing or physical therapy courses, or other specialized courses. All applicable fees are to be paid by the student to Marymount. Visiting students must call the consortium coordinator at (703) 284-1520 if they have questions about their eligibility for a course.

Transfer Policies

Marymount University grants transfer credit for graduate courses when

  • a grade of B or better was earned in the particular course or courses;
  • course credit was granted by an institution of higher education that is accredited by a regional accrediting agency, or by an institution that is recognized as a "Candidate for Accreditation" by a regional accrediting agency;
  • the content of the applicable graduate course or courses can be determined;
  • the course or courses are applicable to the student’s intended graduate degree program as a requirement or an elective; and
  • the content of the course can be deemed relevant and current.

A maximum of 12 semester hours may be accepted in transfer to most graduate programs at Marymount. Students should refer to the appropriate program section of this catalog for information about the requirements or restrictions for their respective program.

Students enrolling at Marymount University receive credit for courses transferred. Grades for the transferred courses do not transfer, nor do they have any effect on a student’s grade point average in his or her graduate program at Marymount.


It is university policy that students are expected to attend class. It is the prerogative of the individual instructor to establish requirements for class attendance. Students are responsible for complying with the instructor’s requirements. Without permission of an individual instructor, no test or class material will be repeated or rescheduled.

Individuals not officially enrolled in a course offered by the university may not attend classes.

Classroom Code of Conduct

Marymount University expects all members of the community to be active participants who learn from others and contribute, in turn, to the learning of others. Therefore, all members of the community agree to work together in every academic activity to create an educational environment of responsibility, cooperation, respect, and civility.

To create such an environment, all members should contribute to the learning environment by arriving on time and leaving when dismissed. Repeatedly arriving late or departing early is not acceptable. Students who must arrive late or leave early from an individual class should notify the professor before the scheduled class and should enter and/or leave class with minimal disruption.

During class, all electronic devices — pagers, cell phones, players, and computers — should be shut off unless required in a class activity. Those whose work or family obligations require them to remain in contact should inform the instructor in advance and use the device’s least intrusive setting.

The classroom — both face-to-face and virtual — is a professional setting where appropriate behavior is expected. Every participant should focus on the educational activity and contribute to it. Electronic communication among participants should be conducted professionally. An instructor has the right to uphold these expectations through an attendance policy, a class participation grade, or other mechanism. A student whose behavior disrupts the educational environment can be asked to leave. Repeated and/or serious interruptions may be reported as violations of the Marymount University Community Conduct Code and investigated according to the code’s procedures.

This policy describes a minimum standard of expected classroom behavior, and individual professors and/or programs may include additional expectations regarding student behavior in class and consequences for failing to meet such expectations. It is the professor’s responsibility to inform students of these expectations at the beginning of the semester, and the student’s responsibility to adapt his/her behavior to specific professors’ expectations.

Final Semester Enrollment

In the final semester before graduation, a student should not be enrolled in a study abroad, transfer, or consortium course. Grades from these courses cannot be guaranteed to arrive before the deadline for certifying graduates.

Academic Advising

Academic advising is one of many ways in which a student individually works with a faculty member. An advisee and advisor work collaboratively to develop and carry out an academic plan that meets the student’s professional and personal goals. The university values the advising relationship as a continuous dialogue from admission through graduation. This conversation encourages the student’s participation in the university community, the growth of ethical awareness, the fulfillment of program requirements, and the advancement of a career.

Students are responsible for

  • making decisions based upon their own best judgment and upon the best information or advice available to them;
  • arranging appointments with an advisor;
  • coming prepared to advising meetings;
  • knowing where to find information about their academic program;
  • understanding degree requirements;
  • being candid about personal reflection and self-awareness of goals, interests, needs, etc.; and
  • contacting an advisor when their academic performance falls below Marymount or program-specific standards.

Faculty are responsible for

  • taking the initiative to engage advisees in the academic planning process;
  • monitoring the academic progress of their advisees;
  • making referrals to support services and offices;
  • announcing and keeping regular, sufficient hours for consulting with advisees;
  • monitoring personal and professional progress; and
  • becoming aware of the whole person.

Each school is responsible for

  • implementing an advising model that matches the institution’s mission and the needs of all students;
  • encouraging the development of advising skills by promoting "best practices";
  • assigning students to an advisor, then communicating those assignments to advisors and advisees; and
  • evaluating faculty advisors to ensure continuous improvement.

The university is responsible for

  • promoting the central role of advising in the academic life of the community;
  • assuring that advising policies are clear, that advising procedures facilitate advisor and advisee relationships, and that advising resources are sufficient;
  • providing support and recognition for faculty advisors;
  • providing advisors and advisees with user-friendly information systems; and
  • assessing the advising program regularly.

Program Planning

All graduate programs include a list of courses required for completing the desired degree or certificate. There may be a recommended or specified enrollment sequence for courses. Consulting with an academic advisor for program planning is recommended.

Evaluation of Students

The method of evaluation in each course is determined by the individual instructor. The final grade given for any course is based on the sum of evidence that the student gives the instructor, which demonstrates understanding and retention of the material presented in the course.

Graduate Grading Policies

The following is a brief explanation of the letter grades that may be further delineated by a plus sign (+), which is not used for A grades, or a minus sign (-), which is not used for C grades. The numerical equivalent of letter grades is determined by the instructor and is approved by the dean of the school that offers the course.


Superior, outstanding scholarship and intellectual initiative.


Satisfactory performance.


Deficient but passing in courses that do not require a minimum passing grade. See program or department standards for minimum passing grades. A grade of C ordinarily is not transferable.


Passing grade. This grade carries no quality points and is not calculated in the grade point average.


Failure to meet minimal standards. Course must be repeated to obtain credit. (See Course Repeat Policy on page 25 for further details.)


Incomplete work. An Incomplete is given at the discretion of the instructor and approval by the school dean when circumstances beyond the control of the student prevent the completion of some course requirements. A majority of coursework must be completed in order for an I to be given.


A student who receives a grade of I must complete the work in the time designated by the instructor. This time may be no longer than one semester. Students receiving a grade of I in the semester in which they petition to graduate must complete the outstanding work within the time designated by the instructor, but no later than 30 days after degrees are conferred in any given semester. The Incomplete must be removed by the end of the semester immediately following, including the summer semester. Failure to remove an Incomplete by the time specified will result in a failing grade. A student must then re-enroll and matriculate successfully in the course to obtain credit.


In progress. Indicates a course that has not been completed by the end of the term of enrollment. This grade applies only to courses that are considered thesis-type courses. A student who receives an IP will be required to register for the course again in the following semester.


Authorized Withdrawal. A grade of W is given to a student who withdraws from a course up until the last date to withdraw with a grade of W or separates from the university after the last date to withdraw without academic record. The grade of W carries no credit or academic penalty. It is recorded on the permanent transcript.


Indicates that the course was audited and no credit or grade was received by the student. An audit course is considered as a regular course for tuition payment and is entered on the transcript. A student must indicate that a course is to be audited at registration and it may not be changed to a course for credit once it has been registered as an audited class. A student may not change from credit to audit after the last day to add or register as published in the Academic Calendar. Audited courses do not count toward degree or graduation requirements.


No grade reported.


A student may register for a course to be taken on a pass/fail basis. The pass/fail option must be approved by the student’s advisor and dean. A student must indicate that a course is to be taken pass/fail at the time of registration and may not change this status after the last day to add a class.

Consortium Grading and Credit

Grades for consortium courses are sent to Marymount’s registrar by the visited institution. They are recorded as Marymount University credit and calculated into the Marymount University cumulative grade point average.

Grades are recorded onto the Marymount University grade report and transcript as soon as they are received. In most cases, this will be after regular Marymount credit has been posted. In such cases, students will need to request updated grade reports and transcripts.

Consortium credits are converted to Marymount University semester credits and count toward full-time/part-time status at Marymount University. If necessary, grades are converted to the nearest Marymount University equivalent.

Cumulative Grade Point Average

The cumulative grade point average is determined by dividing the number of quality points a student has earned by the number of measurable credits of work. Quality points per credit are shown as follows:


Quality points

















Minimum Grade and Course Repeat Policy

All students are expected to maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0, and are subject to review each semester by the Graduate Studies Committee and their program faculty.

Each department determines the minimum grade for a course to complete a degree or certificate program. Students who do not meet the minimum grade expectation for a course may repeat the course only one time, and it cannot be taken pass/fail. If a course is permitted to be repeated, both courses and grades will be recorded in the student’s file and transcript. For calculation of the cumulative grade point average and for fulfillment of curriculum requirements, only the credit and the grade of the course with the higher grade will apply, and the credit and grade of the course with the lower grade will no longer count.

Final Examinations

All courses are expected to include a final exam or comparable culminating experience. Final exams are scheduled during a final examination week, which is part of the required contact time for every course. Students should not make travel arrangements prior to determining their final examination schedule because instructors may not schedule alternative or individual examinations in place of the course final exam. The final exam schedule can be found on the Registrar’s Office web pages at

Assessment of Learning Outcomes

At Marymount University, faculty strive to improve the curriculum and teaching by assessing student learning. Each academic degree program of the university has identified learning outcomes and evaluates the extent to which students achieve them. Various measures are used depending upon the nature of the program: comprehensive examinations, theses, portfolio submissions, examples of student work, and/or standardized professional board examinations. The results of these measures are used by faculty to continually improve and strengthen the university’s programs.

Individuals interested in additional information can contact the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.

Academic Honors

Honor Societies

Chi Sigma Iota International Counseling Academic and Professional Honor Society is for counseling professionals and professionals-in-training. This honor society is dedicated to excellence in scholarship, research, and clinical practice. Membership is open to qualified graduate clinical mental health counseling, pastoral counseling, and school counseling students. Students must have completed one or more terms of full-time counseling study or its equivalent with a minimum overall grade point average of 3.5.

Delta Epsilon Sigma National Scholastic Honor Society is open to both graduates and undergraduates. Graduate students must have completed 50 percent of their requirements with at least a 3.75 grade point average. In addition, exhibition of good character, intellectual activities, and leadership promise are necessary for admission.

Delta Mu Delta National Honor Society in Business Administration is open to qualified juniors, seniors, and graduate students in the B.B.A. and M.B.A. programs. Eligibility is determined in early October for the fall induction ceremony. Graduate students must have completed at least 75 percent of their Marymount University M.B.A. program and have a cumulative grade point average of 3.8 in their M.B.A. courses. An additional ceremony is held in May for graduating students who are eligible at the end of the spring semester.

Kappa Delta Pi is an international honor society in education dedicated to those demonstrating high academic achievement, a commitment to education as a career, and a professional attitude that assures steady growth in the field. Membership is open to graduate students, undergraduates, and exceptional local leaders in education. Graduate students must have completed 12 hours of education coursework, be fully accepted into the teacher-education program, and have a minimum 3.5 graduate GPA.

Psi Chi National Honor Society in Psychology is open to psychology students, who have completed at least 12 semester credits (or 9 and be registered for 3) of psychology courses. Graduate students must have a GPA of 3.5 or better. Students in good standing receive a card and certificate of membership.

Sigma Tau Delta is an international honor society for students majoring or minoring in English. Membership is open to both undergraduate and graduate students. To be eligible for membership, graduate students must have completed at least nine credits in their graduate program and have a GPA of 3.7.

Sigma Theta Tau, the international honor society in nursing, is open to graduate nursing students who have completed one quarter of their coursework leading to the master’s degree, have at least a 3.5 GPA, and demonstrate academic integrity. Applications must be endorsed by two members of Sigma Theta Tau, one of whom must be a nursing faculty member.

Upsilon Phi Delta is the health care management honor society. Membership is open to both undergraduate and graduate students. To be eligible, graduate students must have a minimum 3.5 GPA and/or be in the top 10 percent of their class. Members are selected on the basis of academic achievement, service to the community, and/or contributions to the health care management profession.

Upsilon Pi Epsilon is the information technology honor society. Membership is open to both undergraduate and graduate students. To be eligible, graduate students must have completed 18 graduate credits with a minimum GPA of 3.6, exclusive of research and seminar courses.

Dual Academic Programs or Degrees

Each graduate degree program is considered to be separate from any other degree program, and each requires achievement of all programs’ learning outcomes. Therefore, the policy governing the pursuit of a second Marymount graduate degree is essentially the same as that for the pursuit of a first degree, including the minimum number of credits required for residency, consortium course restrictions, and probation/dismissal policies. The second degree must include at least two-thirds of the total number of credit hours normally required for a single degree, unless specifically noted by a particular dual degree program. (See program requirement details in each school section of this catalog.)

The university cannot guarantee availability of all course requirements without scheduling conflicts when pursuing a dual academic program or degree.

Change of Program

Any student who wishes to change his or her academic program of study must reapply to the university through the Office of Graduate Enrollment Services and seek admission to that program. A nondegree student must reapply to become a degree-seeking student.

Requirements for Graduation

The Doctoral Degree and the Master’s Degree

A graduate degree is awarded to students who satisfy all university degree requirements and all requirements established by each degree program. In order to participate in graduation ceremonies, a student must be receiving a degree. Please see General Requirements that follow as well as specific degree requirements, which are set forth in the program descriptions in this catalog.

The Graduate Certificate and the Post-Master’s Certificate

A graduate or post-master’s certificate is awarded to students who satisfy all certificate requirements established by each program and as set forth in the program descriptions in this catalog. Certificate students do not participate in graduation ceremonies. Please see General Requirements, which follow, as well.

General Requirements

Academic certification: Certification for graduation by a student’s dean and the registrar must be obtained prior to the university Commencement.

Completion requirement: For a graduate degree or certificate, coursework must be completed at Marymount University within 5 years of the date of matriculation into the program.

Documentation: All final documentation must be received by the Office of the Registrar prior to the deadline for submitting grades. Documentation includes such items as official transcripts, test scores, completion of Incompletes, and grade changes. A graduation petition must be received by the Office of the Registrar by the posted deadline.

Financial obligations: All financial obligations must be met prior to the university Commencement. These include parking fines, credit holds, tuition, etc.

Minimum grade point average (GPA): A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better must be obtained for the awarding of any graduate degree or certificate.

Program requirements: The total number of credits required to earn a degree or certificate varies by program. Please consult individual program sections in this catalog. Marymount University requires successful completion of all coursework associated with a student’s degree or certificate program. The requirements to be met are stated in this Graduate Catalog. This includes attaining minimum grades for courses as stipulated in other sections of this catalog.

A student who cannot fulfill the requirements of a program successfully will be dismissed from the program. If the student is otherwise in good academic standing, the student may remain at the university by seeking admission to another program.

Graduation and Commencement

Degrees are conferred in May, August, and December. There is one formal Commencement ceremony in May.

A student must file a graduation petition form (available in the Registrar’s Office or on the Registrar’s Office web page) by the deadline posted at NOTE: The completion of a graduation petition does not guarantee that a student will graduate. A student’s degree audit will be completed by the school in which the student is matriculated once a student petitions to graduate. The degree audit will determine if a student is eligible to graduate.

Graduation petitions submitted after the posted deadline will be processed at the discretion of the university and are subject to a late processing fee. Students who submit the petition after the published deadline may not receive their diplomas at the close of the semester, may not graduate until the next graduation date, and — in the spring semester — may not be listed in the Commencement program. A student who submits a late petition may not be eligible to participate in Commencement exercises if a full audit of the student’s record cannot be processed to confirm eligibility.

Students who do not meet graduation requirements at the end of the semester in which a graduation petition was filed will automatically have their petition moved to the next semester. For any delays beyond one semester, the student must file a new petition and indicate the new anticipated graduation date.

Students graduating at the completion of any term are encouraged to participate in the subsequent Commencement exercise and should contact the Office of the Registrar for instructions.

Students who need to take no more than two courses (up to 8 credits) during the summer semester to complete their degree requirements may participate in the May Commencement exercises if they meet both of the following conditions:

  1. complete a petition for graduation by the designated deadline; and
  2. complete and have signed by their dean a Course Completion Plan. The plan must specify all remaining requirements and in which prescribed session(s) in the summer semester immediately following Commencement the student intends to complete the work. The Course Completion Plan must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the graduation petition deadline.

No exceptions or exemptions to these two conditions will be made or given.


Diplomas for May graduates are issued during the Commencement ceremonies provided the graduation petition has been submitted to the Registrar’s Office by the posted deadline. Diplomas for August and December graduates are mailed by the Registrar’s Office at the close of the summer and fall semesters provided the graduation petition has been submitted in a timely manner.

Diplomas are issued in the student’s name as it appears in official university records. Diplomas are mailed at no charge. Diplomas are withheld from students who have unsettled obligations to the university.

Students who participate in the Commencement with a projected date of completion in the summer following will not receive the diploma at Commencement; the diploma will be awarded only after all program requirements are completed.

Diploma Replacement Policy

A replacement diploma in the name of the student as it appeared at the original time of issue will be provided upon written request by the student, return of the damaged diploma if possible, and payment of a $90 replacement fee. The replacement will include appropriate dates, signatures, and notations where possible. If the student’s name has been legally changed by marriage or court order, a new diploma may be issued upon written request. This request must include legal proof of change, payment of the fee, and return of the original diploma.


Official transcripts of courses and credits will be forwarded by the Office of the Registrar to other educational institutions, agencies, or firms upon signed, written request by the student.

Requests for transcripts will be processed usually within five working days; however, during registration and immediately following the end of a semester there may be a delay up to two weeks. In the event of unsettled obligations to the university, transcripts will be withheld.

Same-day service is available for a fee, payable in advance.

Unofficial transcripts are available to current students via Marynet.

Medical Leave Policy

A student who experiences an illness or medical emergency that causes absence from classes for an extended period of time should contact the Office of Student Development, which will notify instructors of the student’s absence. If a student’s condition is serious enough to prevent the student from completing the semester, advice regarding the student’s options should be sought from the Center for Teaching and Learning prior to withdrawing from courses.

A student who cannot continue enrollment may request a medical leave. A medical leave means that the student will be withdrawn from all courses in which the student is enrolled that semester and unregistered for courses for subsequent semesters. If the withdrawal occurs after the deadline to drop, the student receives a W on the transcript.

To receive a medical leave, a student must

  • submit a written request to the associate vice president for academic affairs (contact the Center for Teaching and Learning for instructions and forms);
  • submit typed documentation from a licensed clinician (not a family member) that attests to the medical necessity for withdrawal;
  • submit the request no later than 15 days after the last day of the semester to which the request applies; and
  • not have taken any final examinations.

A student who receives a medical leave must submit a letter of intent to resume studies prior to the start of the next semester. The university may require documentation that the illness or emergency has been resolved before allowing re-enrollment.

Students Called to Military Duty

In accordance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act, Marymount University will readmit students who take a leave of absence to perform active military service and also meet the requirements defined in the act.

Furthermore, Marymount University appreciates the situation of students who attend classes while maintaining a military obligation. All administrative offices and academic departments at the university will do their utmost to accommodate those students called to active military duty while enrolled in classes. The university’s goal is to make the transition as efficient, equitable, and expeditious as possible.

After consultation with instructors and the academic advisor, a student may choose one of three options:

  • withdraw from some or all of his/her classes;
  • seek an Incomplete, outlined in Undergraduate Grading Policies; or
  • earn a grade.

Under the withdrawal option, the student will receive a complete refund of tuition and fees if he or she withdraws from all classes. If a student withdraws from some, but not all classes, tuition will be reassessed according to full- or part-time status.

If the student elects to receive an Incomplete, the student must discuss arrangements for completion of coursework with the instructor; the arrangement must clearly state the work completed and graded, and the work remaining. The instructor, in turn, will complete and send to the Registrar’s Office the appropriate form. The deadline for completion of an Incomplete is six months after re-enrollment at the university.

With instructor approval, a student may wish to elect the option of earning a grade if he or she has already completed most of the coursework and can accelerate remaining assignments prior to departure from the university.

The student should make the desired option known to the dean of the school in which he or she is enrolled.

A student who is called to active duty must provide documentation of his or her orders to the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. A student who intends to return to the university should submit a Continuous Registration written request to the Registrar’s Office. A student who returns to the university within two calendar years of the call to duty and presents documentation of military service is considered to have maintained Continuous Registration.

Academic Probation, Dismissal, and Suspension

Academic Probation

Graduate students are expected to make continuous progress toward a degree in a timely manner. In support of those efforts, the university, through the Graduate Studies Committee and the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, affirm the following:

  • Graduate students are required to maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
  • A graduate student whose cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 during enrollment at Marymount University is on academic probation.
  • To be removed from academic probation, the student must bring his or her cumulative GPA to 3.0 or higher within nine graduate credit hours or be dismissed.

Academic Dismissal

Graduate students are dismissed if they fail to achieve the academic performance necessary to be removed from academic probation.

A graduate student who is dismissed from the university may not apply for readmission to the same academic program. Some graduate degree programs have additional academic requirements. Students should refer to the appropriate program section of the Graduate Catalog for information about the requirements for their respective programs.

Students facing dismissal from the university due to academic performance have the opportunity to appeal to the faculty of their program. The university notifies the students facing dismissal and informs them of the appeal procedures and deadlines.

If a student wishes to appeal dismissal, the following procedures must be observed:

  1. All appeals must be in writing and are to be addressed to the chair or director of the program in which the student is enrolled.
  2. Appeals are due to the chair or program director by the date specified in the letter of dismissal. No appeals will be accepted after this date. The university will make every attempt to contact the student in writing using the addresses on file with the Registrar’s Office. The student, whether in the United States or abroad, is responsible for keeping his or her official address up-to-date in the Registrar’s Office.
  3. An appeal must explain in full the student’s reasons for seeking a reversal of the academic dismissal and provide a plan for returning the student to good academic standing.
  4. The program chair/director or designated faculty reviews all materials related to the student's appeal and renders a decision that will be communicated to the student.
  5. A student who wishes to further appeal the decision may appeal in writing to the dean of the school in which the student is enrolled. The Office of the Dean will communicate the dean’s decision to the student. A student who wishes to appeal the decision of the dean may appeal to the provost and vice president for academic affairs.
  6. The Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs will notify the student in writing concerning the results of his or her appeal. The response of the provost and vice president for academic affairs is final.

Seeking Readmission to the University

Graduate students dismissed from the university may not apply for readmission to the same academic program, but may seek admission to another academic program.

Academic Suspension

A student who is found responsible, after due process, for a serious breach of academic regulations may be assigned academic suspension.

A student suspended for an academic reason cannot attend the next fall or spring semester. A student on suspension may not attend any intervening summer or interim semester.

A suspended student returns to the university without a reinstatement process.

While on suspension, a student may not

  • have a Marymount ID card;
  • have a Marymount email account;
  • use university support services;
  • participate in university activities;
  • receive academic advising; or
  • participate in registration for a future semester.

Student Complaint Process

A student who has a complaint should bring it forward promptly for resolution.

If the matter concerns a final grade for a course, a student should attempt to resolve it informally in discussions with the instructor of record. A final grade is reviewed only when there is a question whether the grade was calculated in accordance with the requirements and grading procedures stated in the course syllabus. A complaint that is not resolved informally between a student and an instructor should be referred in writing (email or letter sent by post) first to the appropriate department chairperson and, if still unresolved, to the school dean. The decision of the school dean is final. Problems involving course grades must be brought forward within 45 days of the end of the semester in which the grade was earned.

A student who has an academic grievance other than a grade should attempt to resolve it informally in discussions with the appropriate instructor, faculty member, or his/her advisor. A complaint that is not resolved informally between a student and a faculty member is to be referred in writing (email or letter sent by post) to the appropriate department chairperson. If not resolved, the complaint may be taken to the school dean. The decision of the school dean regarding the issue or issues of concern is final. For consideration, a student should bring forward a complaint or problem no later than 45 days from the end of the semester in which the concern occurred.

Nonacademic complaints should be addressed to the department or office in which the problem originated. Complaints not resolved at this level may be referred in writing (email or letter sent by post) to the supervisor for that office. If the student is not satisfied with the resolution of the problem by the supervisor, he or she may refer the concern to the office of the vice president who supervises the area in which the complaint originated. The decision of the vice president regarding the issue or issues of concern is final.

Requests for Exceptions to Academic Policies

In extenuating circumstances, a student may submit a request for an exception to an academic policy, such as withdrawing from all classes after the last day to withdraw, receiving a refund for a class dropped after the last day that refunds are granted, receiving a medical withdrawal from some classes, while staying in others, and converting an Incomplete from a course in a previous semester to a withdrawal. Requests for exceptions to academic policies must be submitted in writing (email or letter sent by post) to the associate vice president for academic affairs within 45 days of the end of the term in which the situation requiring an exception occurred. The Academic Enrollment Committee meets every two weeks to review requests for exceptions. Appeals of committee decisions are only permitted if the student has new information to submit that was not reviewed by the committee. Appeals must be submitted in writing (email or letter sent by post) to the vice president for student development and enrollment management within five business days of receipt of the committee's decision.

Catalog Contents

Graduate Catalog 2013-14

General Information


Financial Information

Academic Support Services

Academic Information and Policies

Academic Opportunities

Graduate Programs

Course Descriptions

University Leadership

Notices to Students